What's new

How Does Vault Prevent Duplicate File Names?

leeave96

While I have some down time, I am giving V11.2 a try and also vault V5 but encountered a potential problem/question.

In as much as Vault is one big database, how do you keep from making duplicate parts with the same CAD file name? For example if I have an assembly with a part 001 and someone else comes along (or really if I forget) and another file is created that is part 001, is there a flag that this part name already exists?

As a test, I imported a step 214 assembly and saved it. I then imported the same assembly, only this time as a step 203 file. Both had the same assembly names and part names. Both saved to the vault - no problem. When I went to the vault, I found two each of each file name with no way of knowing which belonged to what assembly. So I then randomly deleted some of the duplicate names and when I opened the assembly, it couldn't find the file name I deleted and would not look at the other file (that I did not delete) of the same name.

Thanks!
Bill

swertel

Alibre Super User
The Vault doesn't use file names. Remember that this is one big database and not a windows file system. The "file name" is just one more field within the database. It has nothing to do with actual file management. It's just there because so many people are accustomed to file names and can't function without them. It also helps when importing/exporting from the Vault to WFS. Likewise, there is no folder hiearchy either. It may appear like one on screen, but the files are all stored in as a flat file / database. In other words, they are all stored within the same folder.

The actual link between assembly and part file is to the unique ID number created by the Vault, i.e. the key field. This is a field not usually visible by the user. In typical PDM systems (not sure about M-Files Vault), this is a hexidecimal code. Thus, no reason for it to be visible to users because we couldn't interpret it anyway. When you delete a file, it deletes the entire record of the file including the key. Thus, one assembly will still find its associated keys (parts) whereas the other assembly will not, even though both parts (of unique ID keys) contain the same value within a field - the file name.

Another way to phrase it. Although you delete a filename, you are actually deleting the hexidecimal key (and the entire record associated with the key). The file name is just there as a convenience for the user. The trick is knowing which filename belongs to which assembly ahead of time so you know which is the correct one to delete.

leeave96

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. Yea, I understand the internal id thing vs a file name with Vault, Repository had it too. The difference is that repository looks at the file name too and won't let you overwrite a "same" spelled file name. Sort of a safety thing.

The problem is that I have to give the part or assembly a name that is used for other uses than CAD, i.e. MRP system data base and there is also a drawing number file that I check-out part numbers too. Other times, the file name is something descriptive like HCS .25-20UNC..... and sometimes there is a duplication.

Thanks again!
Bill

swertel

Alibre Super User
There is most likely a setting, but it may not be readily available to the user. A call to M-Files tech support may do it, though. Just like any other database, you can force "No Repeats" on any field. If it's not available to the user, M-Files may be able to talk you through another method or create a hot-fix for it.