What's new

How long have you been using Alibre Design?

When did you start using Alibre Design?

• 2002 or earlier

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mibe

Alibre Super User
How long have you been using Alibre Design?

Just for fun and to see if Alibre has gained any momentum :)

BobM

Since November 2002.
Alibre isn't perfect, but neither was I-DEAS Master series or Solid Edge :x . We're getting a lot of functionality for a resonable amount of $$$. But I still want more. More, I say! MORE! MORE!!! :twisted: :shock: :twisted:

schenman

Since April 2004. I think it was v5 but I could be wrong. I used to have Trispective and another company bought it and turned it into IronCad. They offered me Ironcad for about $500 as a Trispective user. It was a good deal but the yearly maintainance was about $2000. Too much for hobby. I owned Ironcad up to version4.2. Good tool but too expensive for me to maintain.
Alibre is the best deal for the dollar.
I still have Ironcad V4.2

rbrian

owner since 2003

I bought V6 in 2003 about mid June - just missed the Sale for a $495 Price and paid $695 for Regular Version - not Pro. Later upgraded - straight up to expert I think it was - because of a pending price increase on that version! Started posting my Tutorials in December of 2003. Need to find time to get back on them!! Went back to full employment and now find less time to deliver!! Robert

jboorse

January 2006

I have been looking for a program that can support my woodworking habit. I think Alibre Design (Xpress for now) is it. I just can't get enough of the tutorials, downloading samples and figuring out how they were made and seeing if I can reproduce. For my first CAD program, Alibre has been really useful, and I don't see any reason to try other programs. Alibre solves all my needs and more. :D

indesign

Alibre Super User

Cool jboorse,

Did you see the Captain's bed on the xpress winning circle? Now that was for fun and for my daughter. I built a simular one for my son but with more drawers and no cubby.

That was my first assembly drawing using Xpress and the only trouble was not being able to save the assembly file due to the Xpress assembly part limit. I now have the full version so I get to have even more fun.

jboorse

Actually Tim, I did see that. I also saw the fully rendered Home Theatre Cabinet: Barry Kingwill in the showcase gallery. Those two designs convinced me to at least try the program and see how it works.

Since I have been really impressed with the program and I spending nights (is it possible to become addicted to Alibre?) after work designing new project I want to accomplish this summer (I don't have a heated garage and can really only do my woodworking in the summer).

But in the summer I wasted a lot of time (and wood) on guess work for projects. Now with the drawings feature I am hoping that I can quickly accomplish my projects quicker and do more with the time I had.

I am really excited to get going. And it is all because of your project and the ease of Alibre.

Jason Boorse

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

jboorse said:
Since I have been really impressed with the program and I spending nights (is it possible to become addicted to Alibre?) after work designing new project I want to accomplish this summer (I don't have a heated garage and can really only do my woodworking in the summer).

Jason Boorse

Not only is it possible, it is a requirement to join the fraternity. I question anyone's real drive to learn if they are not taking the interest to burn that midnight oil.

indesign

Alibre Super User

You should at least give the Xpress contest a try while you are playing so much. That is what got me started on the Xpress work and I think it is addictive.

Same here with the heat so I had half of the work actually done on the bed when I did the design. But I finished the design before completing the bed so I could get good dimensions for the drawer layout and the headboard design.

My daughter also liked the way I could show her some of the color choices. Since I only had Xpress I couldn't do the nice render though. Have fun and if you dont enter a design in the contest at least post one of your designs for us to see.

If you are not signed up on the Xpress forum you will need to before entering the contest.

p_hanson

Been using AD Pro since February 2005 for my employer, but have since taken the software home and used it for several things.

I would like to post a model of a chain gaurd for a 1984 Harley Sportster. I widened the rear tire and had to move the sprocket out; in doing so the chain gaurd would no longer fit. I designed the chain gaurd using the original as a guide (used CMM for accurate measurements) and made it almost 1.5 inches deeper. The rear tire went from a 150 series (approx. 6 inches wide) to 250 series (approx. 9 inches wide).

I just had the part machined and now have to get it polished and clear coated. The best part about it was the local community college machinest instructor machined the part free of charge. He thought it was a "good challenge" and only asked that I supply the necessary tooling; which only turned out to be a couple ball-nose end mills.

It wasn't designed in Express but would just like to share the model with others, I was quite surprised at how easy it was to complete; I had only been using AD for about 3 months when I started the design and finished the original model in a few hours.

Anyway, how do I submit the design for others to view? And can we upload pictures of the finished product and application?

Prior to doing the chain gaurd I designed the swing arm stretch and widening, the new sprocket, and all the brackets in AutoCAD LT 2004. That was a lengthy process and there were a couple problems once I started cutting and welding pieces back together. I almost wish I could go back and start over completely in AD and see if it would have been easier; too bad I didn't have AD when I first started this project! :D

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Go to the "binaries" section in this forum. There, you will be able to upload either JPG picks or the whole model for sharing.

If you have access to a web site where you can upload your images, you can also include them in any post using the "Img" button on the message editor.

All the best,

Gaspar