What's new

How The New Licensing System Works

bigseb

Alibre Super User
There has been much discussion here about the new licensing system. I got in touch with support and got to the nuts and bolts of it.

1) Licenses are perpetual, as in forever. If your maintenance lapses then you get neither upgrades nor support but you can still manage your licenses using the license utility.

2) You manage your own licenses. No more emailing or phoning support to get a seat freed up.

3) You can run 2 seats at the same time. This is a huge bonus imo. Before we had three seats but could only use one at a time. Technically the number of available seats has doubled.

4) Licenses cannot be remotely deactivated. So, if you have two PC's at work and intend doing work at home on your laptop then you must deactivate a seat on at one of your work PC. Then activation at home on your laptop. This is for your protection as it won't allow anyone to remotely deactivate you and use your license.

I hope this clears the air. I too was iffy about the new system at first but can certainly see the sense in it now. It gives me far more freedom than before. But by all means, double check this with support and decide for yourselves.

indesign

Alibre Super User
For me the number 4 is an issue. However they have other options I am going to check on to see if this can be worked out. Either that or doing remote desktop to my job could work if fast enough turn around. We will see.

Other options for me

1) USB dongle
2) License server at job (would only use a single license at workplace)

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Tim,

Deactivation is pretty much instant as I understand it. Haven't tried it yet though...

bemfarmer

There must be some way to remotely deactivate, in case a PC or laptop is stolen, or quits working. (?)
(For limited occasional use, probably with a telephone call.) (?)

I installed quickbooks 2014 last week, and their support had me install a remote program, and the quickbooks activator person was able
to remotely run my laptop.

- Brian

kev h

Just wondering, but what if Pc went POP! How would you deactivate that Pc ?

Cheers Kev :cool:

indesign

Alibre Super User
Keep a record of the mac address on the PC. From their instructions it appears you can use that to request the license to be transferred to a new PC. However I am not certain but it could be at a cost to those who do not have maintenance.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Remember that laptops typically have at least 2 MAC addresses, one for wired Ethernet and one for WiFi.

normc

bigseb said:
There has been much discussion here about the new licensing system. I got in touch with support and got to the nuts and bolts of it.

1) Licenses are perpetual, as in forever. If your maintenance lapses then you get neither upgrades nor support but you can still manage your licenses using the license utility.

2) You manage your own licenses. No more emailing or phoning support to get a seat freed up.

3) You can run 2 seats at the same time. This is a huge bonus imo. Before we had three seats but could only use one at a time. Technically the number of available seats has doubled.

4) Licenses cannot be remotely deactivated. So, if you have two PC's at work and intend doing work at home on your laptop then you must deactivate a seat on at one of your work PC. Then activation at home on your laptop. This is for your protection as it won't allow anyone to remotely deactivate you and use your license.

I hope this clears the air. I too was iffy about the new system at first but can certainly see the sense in it now. It gives me far more freedom than before. But by all means, double check this with support and decide for yourselves.

Bigseb, Did you get a clarification on what happens exactly to the software if you don't turn on and use the software during the 30 day period?

Thanks

bigseb

Alibre Super User
normc said:
Bigseb, Did you get a clarification on what happens exactly to the software if you don't turn on and use the software during the 30 day period?
When you switch the PC on again (and are online) then it'll 'phone home' and hey presto... sorted.

Andrew Roth

But what if your not online for what ever reason. Does the software continue to function?
If the answer is in anyway no then for me this is an unacceptable schema.
I am not renting this software. I paid for it many times over now.

indesign

Alibre Super User
Using the standard license the software will function for 30 days if not online. Any time you are online it will reset the 30 days. If not connected for a full 30 days it stops until connected.

However if you get a offline license then this is not the same. A USB dongle can be used, a code can be received, a Server license can be purchased...etc.. However I do not know yet if they cost extra or any other thing than I read.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
An update, again from the support guys:

Hey Sebastian:

I wanted to clarify the procedure I told you about manual deactivation is only required when initially putting the license on a new device for the first time.

This basically "activates" the device within a pool of devices which your virtual dongle can potentially allocate itself to. Hence the reason the security measure is in place.

After the device is successfully licensed the first time, it's in that recognized pool of devices, your virtual dongles can allocate themselves automatically as you move around to different computers.

If a virtual dongle is ever "stuck" on a device due to the computer crashing, or the program being uninstalled before the dongle could be relinquished, Flexara or ourselves can be contacted to perform a corrective procedure to relinquish the license. I saw some guys on the forums mentioned host transfer procedures; they must be entirely mistaken because that is for different product lines entirely!

Support are on the ball. Great work!! :D

wildwood58

response I received from GM support:
Hello John,

Thanks for contacting 3D Systems Geomagic technical support.

You can still use the software if you discontinue maintenance, you just won't get upgrades or access to tech support.

You'll always have access to the versions you've had access to in the past, up to your most up to date version. You can also revert to the last version if you desire.

There is a physical USB dongle if you require one because you do not necessarily have access to internet at least once every 30 days. You may speak with sales about pricing options.

dwc

Alibre Super User
bigseb said:
I saw some guys on the forums mentioned host transfer procedures; they must be entirely mistaken because that is for different product lines entirely

So they are reading the forum, how about some direct answers?

What is your solution for computers that are not on the internet without paying $XXX for a dongle?

Best,
Don

Drutort

indesign said:
For me the number 4 is an issue. However they have other options I am going to check on to see if this can be worked out. Either that or doing remote desktop to my job could work if fast enough turn around. We will see.

Other options for me

1) USB dongle
2) License server at job (would only use a single license at workplace)

I agree that #4 sucks, why is it for our protection? with 2 step verification that is as secure as it can get ATM, whats wrong with having a txt msg for a 2ndary code that its you.

I do not agree if that you need mac address and other stuff to transfer, this is still same as old system, give us REMOTE option this is not 2000, if anything give a way for regular user and an ADMIN the ADMIN should have high privileges to kick anyone off etc... this is not new tech

If we are all online and requiring online stuff then REMOTE should be an option by default, just have a 2 step verification process or give that as an option for security, txt email or other 2ndary verification IMO is safe

Andrew Roth

They seriously want us to pay for a usb dongle.
Biting my tongue so as to stay on a professional level,
but Hey 3DS Guys, who based on replies are reading this post but not saying anything here.
READ MY MIND!
I already paid for this Software
Kept up on My Maintenance Subscription since version 9, upgraded to expert.
Now if I don't have internet access at least every 30 days I can't use what I paid for???
REALLY
Again READ MY MIND!
Go ahead and tell me "then Don't Upgrade!"
OK "Then Give Me back the Maintenance Subscription fee I gave you less then 21 days ago"
Didn't mention this then did you.
Are that many copies of your software being pirated that this turmoil was in order?
I Mean REALLY???

Andrew,

My name is Michael, I work for 3D Systems; and I am listening to you.

The software is yours and perpetual. Most cases, the 30 day offline timer is not an issue. Without the internet, you won't be able to use the 64 bit part library, the forum, your email, or get any updates anyway.

If your internet is super spotty or you never intend to be online, we can talk about the dongle. I'm also happy to discuss some of the details about the offline case, if you would like.

If you truly feel that purchasing maintenance 21 days ago was a mistake; I'm very sorry to hear that. If that's what you prefer, we can discuss a refund for your maintenance.

For others, I added a post to the main v16 mega-thread with a lot of information, some of which is about licensing as well. I hope everyone finds it useful.

Thanks,

bemfarmer

bigseb said:
An update, again from the support guys:

Hey Sebastian:
I wanted to clarify the procedure I told you about manual deactivation is only required when initially putting the license on a new device for the first time.
This basically "activates" the device within a pool of devices which your virtual dongle can potentially allocate itself to. Hence the reason the security measure is in place.
After the device is successfully licensed the first time, it's in that recognized pool of devices, your virtual dongles can allocate themselves automatically as you move around to different computers.

If a virtual dongle is ever "stuck" on a device due to the computer crashing, or the program being uninstalled before the dongle could be relinquished, Flexara or ourselves can be contacted to perform a corrective procedure to relinquish the license... !

Support are on the ball. Great work!! :D

I am very happy to learn about all this "pool of devices" information, and the "corrective procedure" ability, in the event of mishap.
It seems to me to be a superb policy, which protects our current and future ability to use GM Design, while securing against abusive/ illegal use. :)
It's time to set up my pool of Home PC, Laptop, and Office PC, of which any two can be used at the same time, by only one person, myself,
and then test the ability to swap from Home PC to Laptop, while at the Office, and vice versa.
I understand the information to mean that I do not have to remember to manually deactivate the Home PC before going to the Office, that said deactivation can
be done from the Office. (And vice versa.) Right?
Thank you Michael!

- Brian