What's new

How The New Licensing System Works

bemfarmer said:
bigseb said:
An update, again from the support guys:

Hey Sebastian:
I wanted to clarify the procedure I told you about manual deactivation is only required when initially putting the license on a new device for the first time.
This basically "activates" the device within a pool of devices which your virtual dongle can potentially allocate itself to. Hence the reason the security measure is in place.
After the device is successfully licensed the first time, it's in that recognized pool of devices, your virtual dongles can allocate themselves automatically as you move around to different computers.

If a virtual dongle is ever "stuck" on a device due to the computer crashing, or the program being uninstalled before the dongle could be relinquished, Flexara or ourselves can be contacted to perform a corrective procedure to relinquish the license... !

Support are on the ball. Great work!! :D

I am very happy to learn about all this "pool of devices" information, and the "corrective procedure" ability, in the event of mishap.
It seems to me to be a superb policy, which protects our current and future ability to use GM Design, while securing against abusive/ illegal use. :)
It's time to set up my pool of Home PC, Laptop, and Office PC, of which any two can be used at the same time, by only one person, myself,
and then test the ability to swap from Home PC to Laptop, while at the Office, and vice versa.
I understand the information to mean that I do not have to remember to manually deactivate the Home PC before going to the Office, that said deactivation can
be done from the Office. (And vice versa.) Right?
Thank you Michael!

- Brian

Brian, the message about the "pool" is a little confusing/off.

You get a set number of licenses (in your license email). You can install any where as many times as you see fit.
You can activate up to your number of seats. Say, 2 as an example. You can activate Home PC and Office PC.
You can use either of them without any further action, even at the same time. But to change to the Laptop, you need to deactivate one of the other ones (which ever you are physically around to deactivate), then activate on the Laptop.
Changing back is the same process.

You can pick-up and drop-off the license at will (with internet access); but it does require some action. It doesn't automatically drop a license to another machine; if someone got your code, they could kick you off if that was the case.

I hope that makes sense. If you have 3 seats, you'd never had to care. If you have 2, you'll have to move one between two machines. It takes about 20 seconds.

Thanks,

dwc

Alibre Super User
Thanks for this info Michael,
It looks like I will be forced to use the 30 day phone-home scheme to continue to use your product.
How can I know how many days until the next call home is required?
I do not want to be stuck out in the cold some day, and things like that only happen during presentations with customers.

I still can't believe that 3DS has not thought of a way to let small customers use the products they have purchased from you without an online connection without incurring a major add-on cost.
I am sure that the source code and software tools for the 3DS products are not residing on computers that can be compromised through Internet access.
Why do you force me to accept that risk for my products and tools?
And it is a real risk.
My computers have been compromised twice in the last 10 years despite state-of-the-art defense measures.
I have only been saved because I concienciously do do weekly backups of everything.
But each time a couple of days of work is lost and a day or 2 is spent recreating a working environment.
So I have the computer I am now writing from which is attached to the Internet with e-mail etc. and a computer on which I work that has no network connection. This way the important work is secure. This has also shown me the amount of junk that gets put on our computers through Internet usage that just slows everything down. I clear and reinstall the Internet computer about once a year which increases the reaction speed considerably. The non-Internet computer does not slow down.

While I am glad that users now have more flexibility if they are willing to ignore the issues that opening up to the net cause, I think that a continuation of the old licensing policy for people who have more issues with data security would be in order.

(also have development look at bug #GD-513 for the next dot release, it was added in V2014, worked perfectly in 2012, and drives me crazy almost every day.)
Best regards,
Don

The software won't start counting down until the first time you launch offline. You can go years with it idle and offline; and the timer won't start until you launch it.
Then, at every 5 day interval, it will warm you on launch "you've been offline 5 days, 10 days, 15 days, etc" until 30 days, when it won't launch anymore, and ask you to connect to the internet.

Since you mentioned security, this is actually a security measure for you. If someone steals your computer, they've stolen your software investment and your data.
Through the license system, 3D Systems can revoke the license at your request; so you can use it again on another machine and stop someone else from using your seat.
If they try to go offline to stop the license return, the software will still only run for 30 days.

We have the dongle option, for machines that purposely won't be connected to the internet; but they are a physical good, and cost the company money. We can't give them away for free, otherwise they would be in the mountain of free stuff for everyone.

Obviously, we want to work with you to find a solution. If the dongle or online process won't work; your v15 license and software are still there.

wildwood58

I just want to get a confirmation on what if any add ons I should have:
I purchased Alibre 2012 pro on 7-16-12
I upgraded to Alibre 2012 Expert on 8-20-12
I have kept my maint. current ever since

By the way I did upgrade to version 16 yesterday, works fine!

Drutort

ok so now im confused, people are saying that if you have dynamics which I paid the $200 I should have it show that I have produc "Geomagic Design Full"?? because right now its just stating "Geomagic Design" This is both in the About section and under the license management area

==update=== Just tried to run the Dynamics which was previously installed and I got a Runtime Error "abnormal program termination"

also check my email, the text read "Geomagic Design Full Online Activation" with the activation key, which I used which installed as regular "Geomagic Design" without the "Full"

I emailed support, hopefully things get fixed, I guess I am one of those who's license did not get the proper addons transferred over?

kev h

Hi

Just wondering if I enter activation code after a couple days into 15day trial will it stop the trial straight away or will I still get the remaining days and then start normally ?

Cheers Kev 8)

Kyle

kev h said:
Hi

Just wondering if I enter activation code after a couple days into 15day trial will it stop the trial straight away or will I still get the remaining days and then start normally ?

Cheers Kev 8)

You will get the remaining days on the trial. Once the trial has expired you will have access only to the features entitled by the license you entered.

kev h

Hi Kyle

Thanks for reply , worked a treat showing both instances.

Very smooth system and am very happy with update :)

Cheers Kev :cool:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Drutort said:
not sure if tech support is just really busy, or I'm doing something wrong? The details state that licensing questions be addressed to 3dsystems@flexnetoperations.com which I did, and I have not had a response in 48h already... :roll:
Complain to GD support if you're not getting anyway with Flexera. 3DS are paying Flexera to sort us out.

Drutort

bigseb said:
Drutort said:
not sure if tech support is just really busy, or I'm doing something wrong? The details state that licensing questions be addressed to 3dsystems@flexnetoperations.com which I did, and I have not had a response in 48h already... :roll:
Complain to GD support if you're not getting anyway with Flexera. 3DS are paying Flexera to sort us out.

Ya I got a resonse and I feel silly, but it was a new file download, thats all that I needed, I thought that the files on the account section on the alibre.com site were and are the newest? but I guess not, we have to download it from the https://3dsystems.teamplatform.com/page ... yoqtd8izld

BTW I was told that I would not have the words "Full" in the about page or in the licensing area, so right now If you have dynamics its going to say just "Geomagic Design"

I did not find Dynamics or simulate on the : http://gettingstarted.geomagic.com page, unless we are not familure with new name changes that GM has? Still I think the links should have been provided in the email with the activation code, so that if you do have Dynamics or Simulate then you would see the links

kev h

Clicked here on the email and all downloads appeared and addons on next page ;)

Attachments

• 3ds email.JPG
    3ds email.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 524

indesign

Alibre Super User
Drutort said:
BTW I was told that I would not have the words "Full" in the about page or in the licensing area, so right now If you have dynamics its going to say just "Geomagic Design"
/quote]

Then how do we know what we have in our package? The old site is useless so did you find any info on where to look at current license and addons?

Again, we don't have any control over third party addon licensing. We only control the licensing for Design, Dynamics, and Simulate.
Your license email let's you know if you have Simulate or Dynamics (by having "Geomagic Design Full"). As far as the software is concerned (about, and license utility), it's all the same.

It could be more ideal to have Dynamics and Simulate as separate activation codes, and show as separate products, but that's not how they were originally conceived/designed.

I'm glad people have been able to find the AddOns page linked in the download page.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Michael,

In reference to Kev's comment below and the attached picture. (from a few posts back)

kev h said:
Clicked here on the email and all downloads appeared and addons on next page ;)

is that link in my email specific to me and therefore shows me the addons that I am entitled to or is it just a general link that everybody got?