What's new

How to bevel edge

salex

In the attached design I'm trying to figure out how to slope the edge in the sketch "Bevel Outer Edge" down to the inner edge. The inner edge is 2.5 mm and I'd like the bevel to leave 0.5 mm at that inside edge. FWIW this is for a 3D print.

Attachments

• Test_Top.AD_PRT
    281.5 KB · Views: 16

JST

Alibre Super User
Use the Fillet command, but use the edge chamfer instead of rounded fillet.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Use the Fillet command, but use the edge chamfer instead of rounded fillet.

?

Do not use the fillet command, as you want a chamfer - specifically a 3D chamfer (there is also a sketch chamfer that works on sketch figures, not used here).

upload_2020-4-27_23-6-35.png

Exit Sketch Mode and then choose this tool - this is a tool you use outside of sketch mode. When the tool is open, click the edges on the 3D model that you want to chamfer.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to accomplish, but for example this could be a result depending on which edges and what settings you choose:

upload_2020-4-27_23-8-17.png

salex

Thanks. I wish I'd mentioned that I was aware of the chamfer tool but that gives me a 45 degree bevel and I was hoping to have a more gradual bevel for this situation. I can't figure out if that's a really difficult or not but I couldn't see how to do it easily.

salex

Brilliant! I hate it when I miss obvious stuff but that's one of the things that makes the forum so great. Thank you all!

JST

Alibre Super User
And, not to contradict Max, but the fillet and chamfer (which I did say to use) are both shown under the same icon in the toolbar..... Hence you go to the "fillet", but you choose the drop-down to select chamfer" just as I said.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Is this what you're after?
Test_Top Distance-Distance Chamfer.png

Attachments

• Test_Top Distance-Distance Chamfer.AD_PRT
    289.5 KB · Views: 5

JST

Alibre Super User
Ah, did not realize it was Atom..... That gets confusing.

It would be good to label threads as either Atom, or Alibre.

salex

Actually at the bottom of your post it indicates you use "Design Expert..." and at the bottom of mine I indicated "Atom 3D." Not sure how many people use indicate that in their profile. Remembering to check is always the problem. Fortunately in many ways even though accessed differently many features work similarly in the different programs.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I wish signatures showed up in the mobile site.
Would be nice if the version your using was a mandatory part of your profile info and that it showed up as an icon in front of your username. i.e. P = Pro, E = Expert, A = Atom ... would show on every platform without the need to add it to our signatures. I'd prefer that kind of info rather than the Alibre Super User, etc!

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
But forum accounts aren't tired to licenses. Some people on here are VARs for a multitude of users. Some people are 3 years behind in updates. Some are window shopping.

JST

Alibre Super User
Well that puts it on the user to say.

And, Salex DID put it in the signature, I just don't usually look at them and so I totally missed it. I plead part-time idiocy.....

The only other thing to do is to have an "ATOM" subsection. That would, unfortunately, get less attention from many. But it would be clear what the poster had.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
The only other thing to do is to have an "ATOM" subsection. That would, unfortunately, get less attention from many. But it would be clear what the poster had.
It would also mean that application wide topics and core discussions get duplicated or missed by users of a different license level, making discussions fragmented.

How about forcing the user to use Tags (something that in this forum is never utilised to its full potential!) when creating topics, with 3 in-built tags to represent the versions. You could be forced to select 1 or more depending on the discussion and would make for easy searching/filtering. It would identify what version the topic relates to or which version raised the query/issue, but still be on everyone's radar and in the correct forum area based on topic. Just a thought!