What's new

How to boolean cut an intersecting part

TimB

Hello People

Thanks for taking the time to look at my question

I modeled a reducing tee, then a half tube and placed it in the location i want it to occupy in the end.

The goal is to work out the shape of the half tube so it will fit inside the tee. But despite a few of trying to figure out a way to do it I get either errors or just it just fails to draw. So many ways I tried nothing worked

Any suggestions?

BTW I had to export the tee, then import it to even get the ability to do section view.

I can supply more files if need be

Thanks

Tim

Attachments

• Tee and half tube.png
    Tee and half tube.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 26
  • steam seperator 1.AD_ASM
    219 KB · Views: 4

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello TimB,

if you want one to take a look into your assembly, it will be necessary to post all part + the assembly file. The best way to do this ist to create a package and and post the package file.

Regards
Stefan

TimB

Hi, Opps

Sorry about that.
Attached is a new asm and the originals. No converted files

Tim

Attachments

• Seperator.zip
    382.9 KB · Views: 5

Nick952

As Stefan posted, you still need to create a Package File of the Assembly and attach that, rather than the individual files you have at the moment.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

TimB

Oooow Again sorry

I learn something new every day. Never knew I could do that

Tim

Attachments

• steam seperator 2.AD_PKG
    406.8 KB · Views: 5

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Tim< I tried doing a section view (failed) then I tried an Extrude Cut but got this strange error:

StrangeError.png

So I suppressed the stub for the Tee and rolled the Dog bone up the tree until it I could cut the model and found that you have a gap in the model:

Modeling Error.png

I think that may be an issue that needs to be corrected before a successful Boolean can be performed.

IF you know the dimensions of the profile why don't you create a Revolve Boss for this part?

TimB

Thanks for spotting that. The tee is made from compressing and extruding the copper so there are a lot of odd profiles internally.

I'm going to cut it in half the as you said do a profile and rotation.

Again thanks for your time and finding the issue.

Cheers Tim

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Is the half tube something that you will be installing in the Tee? If it is then it may be something to model Top-Down by Inserting a New Part into an assembly.