What's new

How to change subassemblies that have been made flexible?

Toybuilder

Is there a way to make constraint edits within a sub-assembly which has been made flexible?

I built up a paper transport mechanism with a bunch of pre-assemblies consisting of sleeve bearings, shafts, spur gears, and rollers. Because the roller and sleeve bearing positions varied within the design, I used "make flexible" on a number of these 'shaft assemblies'.

After my first pass, I realized that I wanted to reverse the orientation of the spur gears within each of the shaft assemblies. When I made the change to the sub assembly, however, the changes did not propogate back to the root assembly.

However, if I insert new instances of the sub assembly, or insert a duplicate of an existing made-flexible sub assembly, the new sub assembly instance would come in with the updates.

It seems that once you turn an assembly "flexible", it effectively becomes an orphaned copy of the original assembly?

Or am I misssing something?

Thanks in advance!

Toybuilder

Well, I think I've answered my own question. It looks like I was, in fact, missing something...

Some more experimentation showed that making changes to the underlying sub-assemblies do carry into the assembly; but the particular instance of the subassembly that has been made flexible will each need its own "edit here" operation to individually suppress constraints, reorient the affected part, and then unsuppress.

I've tried for 2 days to get help from Alibre online chat support, and one time calling their phone number; and got no responses. Has something happened? I was getting excellent support for my first two incidents two weeks ago...

indesign

Alibre Super User
Not excusing any of their actions but it does seem they are in the middle of some changes and upgrading of their systems. Maybe they had a busy week? From Max's post they are fixing to release V12.1 withen a few weeks as well.