What's new

How to create a hole chart?

ericle

How to create a hole chart?

I am creating a part that has a fair numbr of holes in it, of varying type (thru holes of varying OD & threaded holes), and I would like to create a hole chart in my drawing. Does Alibre provide access to the hole info so that it can be listed in a chart. [ ACAD does this easy as pie. ]

I can not find any information on this web site or in the manual on this type of operation. Has anybody else done this?

pem

How to create a hole chart

Hi

Alibre doesn't provide access to the hole info. It can not be listed in a chart.

I wrote about this to Alibre support. Maybe they will add this possibility in next realese.

pem

ericle

Well, that is very unfortunate. I would have to say this is a VERY basic requirement.

What is the opinion of the rest of the forum user's?

scarr

Re: Hole Chart

Hi Eric,
Honestly I can't think of the last time I used a hole chart. In the industry I've been working in (automotive), every hole is dimensioned at to location, size and tolerance with dimensional callouts. Multiple holes of the same charateristics are simply labeled as 2x or 6x , etc. If further identification is needed then the holes themselves are labeled (E, F, G, etc.)on the part. I'm wondering if there might be another way around this problem, such as creating a customized BOM for the chart and filling in the information manually or are you looking for automatic creation of the chart?

ericle

Machine shops I have worked with normally ask for a hole chart once the count gets fairly high. (This particular part probably has 100+ holes)

From a design stand point I personally find it easier to design a part of this type and then to indicate the origin and let the program generate the hole chart. It eliminates the chance of error and provides a clean properly documented part. Maybe I am just old school and am starting to show my age.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

In my opinion, hole charts would be a very useful enhacement.

The situation that Eric describes is very common for us and the only workaround at this time is to export the drawing as DXF and use a lisp program we developed for that purpose in Acad.

ericle

The DXF to ACAD solution is what I am looking at currently.

It begs one to consider that if they have to use an old CAD package to complete the work, maybe they should have just used it from the begining?

I know this is a old thread, but as i am new to alibre and use hole charts to a great degree i want to see if alibre or anybody has had in progress on adding this feature and found a good work around.

Travis_j_t said:
I know this is a old thread, but as i am new to alibre and use hole charts to a great degree i want to see if alibre or anybody has had in progress on adding this feature and found a good work around.

I have created Hole Charts using the "Notes" function. It is completely manual, but it works.

I regularly use Hole Charts, because they allow me to conserve space. Many times, I can easily, clearly and cleanly get a relatively large part on an A-Size (8.5"x11") Sheet, by using Hole Charts and Notes. Otherwise, all the leaders and individual descriptions would necessitate a B-Size or even larger drawing size.

Hope this helps!

cclark440

Alibre Super User
I think that you could create a BOM, and manually add the data for your hole chart.
I have used this method before to create family of parts tables.

Well, no not exactly.

i know i can make my own charts manual, but i make alot of prototypes, and the associated hole charts are nice because location and hole information automatically updates. it just helps eleminate potential error while doing things quickly. i will have to look at using parameters in a BOM or chart. ill keep people posted.

yeah, everybody else does. dont get me wrong, so far i am very happy with alibre, and surprised on how they approach some issues compared to other companies. just i sometimes have parts with alot of different kinds of holes.

i am trying to see if i can find a quick way to get hole parameters into a BOM. so at least the hole information is associated. i am going to use features out of my feature library.(my new hole tool) because of the countersunk and other features i need to build anyways.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Just a question...

I recently provided DXF with the hole chart drawing. And I asked if machine shop requires the chart or not. He denied the chart requirement.
He says he won't lose any data as far as he has DXF.

What about yours? :?:

Yes, when you are using CNC equipment that's movements are based off the dxf. you don't need to dimension as much. but for reference drawings and QA drawings where everything needs to be labeled and/or dimensioned. time and space is saved. also i still have things done manually and a good dimensioned drawing helps quite alot.

oh, and most machines are based of a X,Y coordinate system. so basing your dimensions off of one point makes it simple to compare it to the made part.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
I see, Travis.

Well, my side is similar as yours, there is always someone who is pointing things out saying it's inconsistent with the rest or anything that one can complain about .... as usual. :?

Cheers.

indesign

Alibre Super User
I work at a job shop (machine shop that does small to medium runs). Like us, most shops prefer a DXF file and then our CAM software simply locates the holes for machining.

If we spent the time manually inputing the coordinates for these holes then we may (and usually do) make a typo. The CAD file prevents the human error of hole placement.

At times if the hole is a pattern though we would prefer that information due to the ease of inputing hole patterns in the machine control. If the holes are not at patterns then a CAD file is best.

Hole charts are great though when there is no automation available and someone must input the data manually. I am just glad when we don't have to input but someone gives us the file.

indesign

Alibre Super User
BTW: Would not a spreadsheet be the best way to design and use these type of prototype designs?

Use Alex Franke's point import wizard to load the data in to the part for all the hole locations. You also can then provide a data file for the hole callouts.

i use hole charts ONLY for drawings. this is for reference and QA not for data input for CNC. it does help quite a bit when manual machining and manual sheetmetal layout as most the time the are based off a datum. all the CNC shops i worked at required a DXF (unless they paid for drawings) and QA drawings to make sure scale, and hole sizes met tolerances.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User
We use hole charts a lot since our big driller is not CNC yet. In that machine we do fixture bases up to 3mts long (tons of holes there).

We ended up having an API developed for that end. The program works quite well 8)

If someone needs further data, just say so.