What's new

How to create curved oval (like a Pringles chip)?

I want to be able to have a radius along the width of an oval, similar to the way a Pringle's potato chip looks. What method is used to do that?

Thank you in advance! :D

In sheet metal or part modeling?

I want it to look like I formed an oval sheet over a rod or tube. And I need a specific radius.

Thank you!

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Here is one way of creating your part in sheet metal. Try different values for the dims in sketch<1> to set the size and radius of the curve. Adjust the sketch dims for Cut<2> for the size of the oval. (Note: this was created in Alibre Design 2017 from Alibre LLC. If you haven't upgraded yet you may not be able to open the file.)

Attachments

• curved_Oval.AD_SMP
    301 KB · Views: 21
  • curved_Oval.png
    curved_Oval.png
    34 KB · Views: 9

bemfarmer

In MoI, the Enneper minimal surface, with maxRadius of 0.25, and a bit of 1d scaling, makes a good looking Pringle surface.
- Brian

Attachments

• EnneperPringle.AD_PRT
    437 KB · Views: 9

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Pringle Chip? Like this:

Attachments

• Pringle Chip.jpg
    Pringle Chip.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Pringle Chip.AD_PRT
    337 KB · Views: 23

bemfarmer

Wikipedia says that the shape of a pringle is that of a hyperbolic paraboloid.
I seem to recall them to be "oval" rather than "round," but have none to measure:)
- Brian

bigseb

Alibre Super User
bemfarmer said:
Wikipedia says that the shape of a pringle is that of a hyperbolic paraboloid.
I seem to recall them to be "oval" rather than "round," but have none to measure:)
- Brian
I just tried to show the method. Any profile sketch can be used.

Take the dip out of the middle of the chip and form the oval around a tube (lengthwise). I need to be able to come up with a flat pattern for the object to be cut on the waterjet.

Thank you!
Lisa

DezinerDiva said:
Take the dip out of the middle of the chip and form the oval around a tube (lengthwise). I need to be able to come up with a flat pattern for the object to be cut on the waterjet.

Thank you!
Lisa

HaroldL had the correct shape. - Lisa

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I went back in and tweaked the Contour Flange sketch in the model so it will now create a flat pattern without throwing an Acis error. I added a short flat section on the opposite side from the original. I then adjusted the Oval cut sketch so it will leave a very small flat on the sides. Alibre needs a flat portion on the part in order to create a flat pattern or insert the Unbend/Rebend steps.

Attachments

• curved_Oval.AD_SMP
    325.5 KB · Views: 8
This is what we came up with here. I think this works quite well, as we can control the curve easily and obtain a flat pattern. Thoughts?

Thank you!
Lisa

Attachments

• Curved Plate.AD_SMP
    472 KB · Views: 25

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
That appears to be a badge or name plate that would be attached to something like, say, the down tube on a bicycle. I think that will work better than the method I used with a contour flange.

Actually, it's a part to an incredibly expensive light fixture. ;-) But we need to cut the parts on the waterjet, so a flat pattern is required before cutting and then we form it in the shop.

Thanks everyone for the input! It is greatly appreciated!
Lisa