What's new

How to draw gears in Alibre 11.2

Hi IMK,

I will assume that your are speaking of spur gear. Let me know if I have guessed wrong.

I do not believe that WizoScript goes that far back in Alibre history, so that rules out the easiest way. My suspicion is that using some 2D CAD utility to construct the gear and them importing a DWG or DXF would be the simplest. Otherwise you are left with constructing at least one tooth using the sketch tool and doing a radial copy on the result.

dwc

Alibre Super User
Lew_Merrick said:
constructing at least one tooth using the sketch tool and doing a radial copy on the result.

Which is what I do.
I am never sure that the utilities one finds over the web really do what they claim and prefer to do the construction myself.

Don

ajayre

Alibre Super User
Lew_Merrick said:
I do not believe that WizoScript goes that far back in Alibre history

It appears to work with version 12, so it might also work with version 11. There is no cost to try it and see...

Andy

mrehmus

Another option, and one I use all the time is a program called Gearotic. It will create gears of just about any type. I use it to generate a DXF and then import that. These are gear generations that are so accurate, you can machine the gears (it will create G-Code to run a CNC).

Desertrunner

Can anyone explain to me how after I have imported the DXF I can then get it into the 3D drawing part of GM? Even were I go to find the info.
Thanks
Tony

JST

Alibre Super User
Same as with any 2D sketch.

First, import it into the 2D sketch function of GD.

Then extrude it as you would any 2D sketch same as for one you draw in G-D.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Desertrunner said:
Can anyone explain to me how after I have imported the DXF I can then get it into the 3D drawing part of GM? Even were I go to find the info.
Thanks
Tony

Go through through the 'Using AutoCAD in ...' built in tutorial (in the Intermediate Tutorials section).

Desertrunner

Thank you very much I have it done. I did have a problem importing the DXF into Gem but I found that if I used a different program to open it first then save it as a DXF then Gem could open it as what ever the error was had been corrected.
Tony