What's new

How To identify paramenters

I am trying to create Global Parameters and Configurations, I am figuring this out and its pretty simple not to hard.

Where I am getting hung up is how do I identify which "Name" corresponds to which feature ?

lWmn15e.jpg

Attachments

• Parameter Screen.JPG
    Parameter Screen.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 3

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Best practice is to assign meaningful names as you build the model, at least for key dimensions.

If you haven't done that you can get a long way by turning on 'show equations' in the Dimensions subset of Design Properties (maybe even consider making that a default for future files). That will show the name along with dimension value in sketches etc.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely.

To be successful with using configurations, you need to learn about the various locks that can be applied - unlocked items will change across all configurations, locked items are specific to that configuration alone. So to have different features suppressed in different configs., you should set the feature suppression lock when you get to the stage that you wish to start differentiating between configurations.

Drawing views can be tied to a particular configuration - though note that I have come across instances where if a drawing contains a configuration that is currently not active in the saved 3D model, there may be some weird display issues.

Not only do you want to use "meaningful names" to identify your Equation Editor values, you want to prefix such "names" with a lower case letter + number "identifier" (such as "a0" or "q4") to keep your "variable names" at the "top" of the Equation Editor's "variable list."

Thanks for all the help but I fear I broke something.....

***Shut down Alibre opened back up, resolved.

I am trying to do anything in this model at this point and its all greyed out

L0M6KNE.jpg

DavidJ said:
Absolutely.

To be successful with using configurations, you need to learn about the various locks that can be applied - unlocked items will change across all configurations, locked items are specific to that configuration alone. So to have different features suppressed in different configs., you should set the feature suppression lock when you get to the stage that you wish to start differentiating between configurations.

How can I lock certain features in a configuration?

I am thinking that a dimension can vary as long as its connected to a configuration parameter, but I want to leave this parameter unlocked while the overall length varies.

Does that make sense?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Not really - not sure what you are getting at.

Can you give a (simple) example?

Im not quite sure what I am thinking at the moment, haha I had an idea but not sure it makes sense either.

Let me keep working and see if it comes to me clearly.

Again Thanks for your help

DavidJ said:
Not really - not sure what you are getting at. Can you give a (simple) example?
Let's say in want a variable with the identity of "Length." If I name it "Length" it will show up at (or near the) end of the Equation Editor variables. However, if I name it "a0_Length," it will show up at the top of the list of Equation Editor variables.

Ok So I figured out my question.

Lets say I want to fix certain variables and allow other variables to not be locked.

Example below: I don't want to have to enter all the parameters independently for each configuration when many are the same. So in my mind I want to leave the HADIMS unlocked on 3 of the CONFIGS because these are part families, so I'd have 5 HDIMS dimensions for my 15 parts.

Would I need to create 5 different HDIMS ?

aJkCDi3.jpg

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Always more than one answer.... none of them necessarily 'correct'.

I usually model one version first, copy it to other configs, then apply locks and start to edit the differences.

Holes for example - you have 2 major choices

1 - circular cuts, use the same cut feature in each config, apply parameter locks so diameter parameter (size) of the cut differs in each config.

2 - hole tool, create a hole for each size required, use feature suppression locks to make sure the required hole appears in each config.

3 - you could apply same idea from 2 to extrude cuts as in 1 - so not really another choice, just variation on a theme.

Oh that drawing feature will be great!!!

How can I create a Parameter that is a data entry box, example being length a customer may want a part in any length from 4"-48".

Is there a way to tie a parameter selection to a data entry prompt ?

I keep saying thanks but I really mean it. :D

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
All dimensions are data entry boxes. Just go back and change the value.

You could also use Global Parameter Files or Spreadsheets to drive one or more parameter in your design.

Dave, Thanks.

I come from Inventor world and that had a feature where your drawing lines change color when they are fully constrained, does Alibre do anything like that?

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Eric, looks like you are asking for sketches, not drawings. :wink:
Yes, the DOF (Degrees of freedom in sketches) feature you can find here:

Attachments

• DOF-2.jpg
    DOF-2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DOF-1.jpg
    DOF-1.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 5