What's new

How to make a minimal removed section view

thomasqm

Before purchasing Alibre I noticed on the website that it can do removed section a a minimal way:

2d-engineering-drawing-alibre-design-removed-section-view.jpg

However I am unable to produce such views. The documentation doesn’t give any insight to do something different than illustrated. However, @albie0803 seemed to have succeeded 3 years ago according to his post about an issue.

How to make this ? Also, is it possible to set the distance between the view and the part precisely in order to do the following, which is a variant?

coupes23.jpg

WillB

In your sheets and views tab in the drawing workspace

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 16

Ken226

Alibre Super User
You cannot dimension the break lines but you can set the distance between them.

Here's a short video showing how to make the sections.

Harold, your videos are excellent. Ever considered uploading them to YouTube so they would be searchable by Alibre users?

Last edited:

thomasqm

You cannot dimension the break lines but you can set the distance between them.

Here's a short video showing how to make the sections.
I haven’t noticed this that vertical arrow! The second method doesn’t allow to put the view exactly at the cutting plane though.

I can now create the view but I can’t put dimensions in it. Those with the arrows at the ends of the cutting plane can have dimensions but not the minimalist ones. The drawing is attached.

Attachments

• M001-0034_01.AD_PKG
    101.9 KB · Views: 5

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I haven’t noticed this that vertical arrow! The second method doesn’t allow to put the view exactly at the cutting plane though.

I can now create the view but I can’t put dimensions in it. Those with the arrows at the ends of the cutting plane can have dimensions but not the minimalist ones. The drawing is attached.
Yeah, the second method will not allow the removed section to be placed inside a break section - I've tried multiple times and it won't work. I was going for something that is possible in SolidWorks but this ain't SolidWorks.

The reason that you couldn't dimension the removed section is because it is inside the main view. If you move it outside the view border then you can apply dimensions.

The Blue line in the image below is the border of the main view. Select the section view in the Design Explorer so the view handle is activated. Then you can move it out of the main view region.

One more tip: You can dimension the location of the sketch line for the removed section. That can be done either before the view is created or after by editing the view. (RMB click on the view extension line and select Edit from the pop up menu.

view dims.jpg

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Yeah, I've thought about it once or twice. I'll need to look into setting up a YouTube account.

If your using an Android phone, you probably already have a Google acct.

I never actually signed up for a YouTube acct, I just signed into YouTube with my Google acct and somehow, have a YouTube acct now.

If I remember right, when you hit the button to login to YouTube, it asks if you want to sign it with your Google acct, Facebook acct, and maybe a couple others. I think it creates the acct for you, with the credentials for the Google acct.

Unless things have changed. It's been a few years.

concept

Quick question: If I change the scale of my views so that they are smaller, I can no longer further separate the front and top views. What is needed to be done?
Thanks.

False alarm: I see that I have to click on either view in drawing explorer.

thomasqm

Yeah, the second method will not allow the removed section to be placed inside a break section - I've tried multiple times and it won't work. I was going for something that is possible in SolidWorks but this ain't SolidWorks.

The reason that you couldn't dimension the removed section is because it is inside the main view. If you move it outside the view border then you can apply dimensions.

The Blue line in the image below is the border of the main view. Select the section view in the Design Explorer so the view handle is activated. Then you can move it out of the main view region.

One more tip: You can dimension the location of the sketch line for the removed section. That can be done either before the view is created or after by editing the view. (RMB click on the view extension line and select Edit from the pop up menu.

View attachment 37532

Thank you for the tip. The inability to dimension the view when it overlaps the other sounds like a bug to me.