What's new

How to move a 3D sketch back to origin after it flew into "space"?

danwilley

Hello,

I am running the latest version of Alibre Expert.

I am trying to create a simple 3D sketch that is a solid bent rod (four bends). The rod has several bends that are not 90 degrees. Each bend has a fillet. So the rod has some compound bends from a three-dimensional point of view (all dimensions and angles driven by global parameters). After creating the 3D sketch, I want to sweep a 2D circle positioned on one end to create the 3D part (rod). After spending days learning and trying various workflows (3D sketch is new to me.. but I have been using Alibre for a year and a half), I almost had it done when for some reason the 3D sketch went flying out into space and disconnected itself from the origin. The simple 2D sketch (circle) representing the diameter of the rod is positioned at the origin on one end of the 3D sketch and in the proper plane to do the sweep (had the 3D sketch remained at the origin). It actually worked once (the sweep completed), until the 3D sketch went into space. How do I move the 3D sketch back to the origin? I have spent hours trying different things with no luck.

Also, is 3D sketch stable?? It does not seem so. Over the last few days, I have had several Alibre crashes when doing what seems to be simple operations drawing the 3D sketch. I have had several lock-ups (the Alibre system stops reacting to keyboard and mouse inputs). I have had, even more, Alibre crashes... Alibre just falls on its face.

This is very frustrating. I have worked on this part for days now trying to make this simple bent rod as a 3D sketch with a sweep and I can't seem to get it to work. (I have so much more work to do on this project and this simple "rod" is holding up progress.)

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
Dan

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Dan,

one way is:
your sketch "in space":
upload_2021-7-3_6-15-5.png

choose "coincidence contraint"
upload_2021-7-3_6-8-59.png

choose the end point of your 3d sketch which should be located at the origin:
upload_2021-7-3_6-11-48.png

next choose the origin:
upload_2021-7-3_6-12-45.png

and your sketch should be moved to the origin:
upload_2021-7-3_6-13-40.png

Regards
Stefan

danwilley

Hi Stefan,
Thank you.

I think with Alibre crashing, locking up and other odd behavior, I became distracted and missed the obvious.

Dan