What's new

How to recover file thumbnails after updating to windows 11

Ty Hartnett

I recently updated my late-model PC to windows11 and lost all my alibre thumbnails. I do large assemblies so they are essential. On checking, I have found by default windows11 cant do this automatically. Can anyone suggest how I can overcome this? I have done all the normal checks and resets etc still no success. Tried going back to W10 and found they have all disappeared! No virus or malware! Greetings from NZ

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
It may be a lot of work but what happens if you open the files individually then update and save them? Will that recreate the thumbnails? Alibre seems to update them in Windows 10 after an update and save.

Ty Hartnett

Hi Harold, Yes that works, but as you say A LOT OF WORK. in one folder there are 356 AD-PRTs. I have 1000's There has to be both a reason and a method for recovery. Many thanks

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Is it only the Alibre files that are missing thumbnails or are other files missing them also?
If you copy your post title and paste it into your favorite internet search tool you should get several links related to missing folder thumbnails of all files.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Try to uninstall and reinstall Alibre Design. Thumbnails are saved as part of the file - they are not gone. Whether windows has correctly registered the ability to access them is another story. Installing AD should correct this if something went wonky during windows upgrade.

Ty Hartnett

Thank you Alibre team. I am up and running again after a LOT of hassle. Max as you wondered Microsoft (W11) doesn't by default carry over the ability to regenerate thumbnails. Quote-- their own clear web site information. Why would they do that just doesn't make good business sense. Its like Microsoft are trying to control the CAD world.
I overcame the issue by uninstalling W11 and reloading W10 Pro. Instantly got all my thumbnails back. I suppose new Alibre users starting out with W11 would not have this ongoing problem. My files go back to 2012! Is it possible for the wonderful team at Alibre to offer a update to old users wanting to update to W11? Kind regards to all forum users from sunny New Zealand.Ty

Reactions: MKR