What's new

How to remove material

papajoe41

Hi,
I have been very successful in using the program now. But, I am having trouble trying to remove the material in the 7 slots in the front flange. Do I use the 'hole' extrude? Secondly the hole in the center, straddles the edge of the lower wall. It will end up being a tapped hole. When I try to extrude it, it says something about interference. Can you, please, help me to solve these two issues.
Thanks, papajoe41
Screenshot (55).png Screenshot (51).png

kev h

Hi Papajoe

The slot geometry needs to made up of closed shapes D s then it should extrude cut fine.

Cheers Kev :cool:

papajoe41

Thanks- So, the problem is that I have expended the slots back. The slots are detents for location. I wanted to extend them back to make the slot deeper. How do I do that, now?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You need to apply some dimensions to the slots so you can control their size. Instead of multiple slot shapes in one sketch I would recommend creating one slot then creating a circular pattern of that slot.

In the example I uploaded I created a pattern for the 30, 45 and 90 degree slots on one side then mirrored them to the opposite side. The center slot controls the size for all. After changing the slot sketch dimensions you may need to update the model a couple of times

I don't know if you have used the Equation Editor yet but I also renamed the slot dimensions in the Equation Editor (EE) so you can change their values without having to edit the sketch. Just open the EE with Ctrl+E and then change the values for SlotRadius and SlotDepth.

EE for Slot Size.png

And you can use the Hole tool for the center hole. It may have run into the lower extrusion but cannot tell without the model. Try changing the depth setting and see what happens.
CenterHole with Hole Tool.png

Attachments

• Patterned Slot Example.AD_PRT
    422 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: