What's new

How to roll out this part ?

steveastro

I've got this design for a hollow shell, through which straight pipes will pass, so any holes not on axis are not circles in the flat sheet from which the part will be made. How do I roll this part out to make a production drawing, or pattern for a CNC laser ? Its got me stumped !

Attachments

• Exchanger shell.jpg
    Exchanger shell.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 63

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
You calculate the lenght of the hole "diameter" at the cylindrical surface, you know dia. of the holes in the aksial direktion,
thats your pipe dia.
Then make a flat sheet and sketch elipsies with a / b akses as you have calculated.

steveastro

Oldbelt said:
You calculate the lenght of the hole "diameter" at the cylindrical surface, you know dia. of the holes in the aksial direktion,
thats your pipe dia.
Then make a flat sheet and sketch elipsies with a / b akses as you have calculated.

Thanks Oldbelt,

I rather hoped there was a direct method - this is what CAD is for. I could do it at a drawing board, pretty easily !

Steve

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
steveastro said:
Oldbelt said:
thats your pipe dia.

Thanks Oldbelt,

I rather hoped there was a direct method - this is what CAD is for. I could do it at a drawing board, pretty easily !

Steve

Steve.
The "direct method" would be for Alibre to create cuts normal to the surface in sheet metal. It's obvious you need a solution now but this was hinted at by Max for v2012 in this post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12357&p=74827&hilit=normal+cut#p74827

Let's hope it gets implemented; that would be a real step up for Alibre if they pull it off.

dudley

The trick is to use polygon shapes to approximate circular holes. This will work as long as a cutout does not cross an edge. I very much hope that flat patterns will be more robust in the next version.

Attachments

• New Sheet Metal Part.stp
    258.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen.png
    Screen.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 71

steveastro

Dudley,
If I were wearing a hat, I'd take it off to you. That is a VERY neat trick, I really didn't know how to do it.l I'd never have thought of using a polygon !!!
Thank you very much. Brilliant work.

Steve