What's new

How to Specify Graphics Processor

dak70

Greetings all,

I have an ACER laptop that I am now using for Alibre. It has th eintegrated INtel graphics processor, but also has the GeForce GT540M. But only certain programs and games are listed within the driver application to modify. I would like to have the Nvidia processor be active when loading ALibre....It doesn't ever seem to be working, as I never play games...only web, word and ALibre..

Any suggestions greatly appreciated,
Regards,
Den

jimbees

Den
My home computer is a Windows 7 Gateway laptop, made by ACER, and in the hidden icons section on the taskbar is an icon for NVidia. If you click on this, it brings up a dialog box where you can specify which programs should always run with NVidia graphics. I set this up in the Alibre days and it works with Geomagic. I would imagine that Gateway and Acer have similar controls for the extra graphics.

BTW, even running an extra screen off the laptop, it is hard to tell the difference with the extra graphics but I do not do very complex assemblies or Photo Realistic rendering.

Jim

dmerrll

I have the same processors in my HP laptop, both the intel 4000 and the GeForce. I too would like to know which settings are best. GM 2014 crashes often during simulations with AlibreCam 3. I always have both opened in the program. Also upon restart I am no longer prompted to recover file that was open upon crash. Maybe there is a setting that I missed in properties.
David

dmerrll

GM2014 Will not run with Nvidia that was recommended to me by Alibre and Mecsoft in July 2012. I called both before I bought new laptop and went through every Spec. Simulate in alibreCam 3.0.0.4 crashes when in simulate mode. Generates this error,
0x88760868) D3DRMERR_BADDEVICE.

Backplotted a circle generated with GM2014 and it is an ellipse! Back plotted a circle generate with Alire 2012 and it is a circle! Both with same version of AlibreCam.
Display does not crash.
I do not know whether to trash laptop or load GM2014 onto a cd so I can burn so I can take out to the parking lot and stomp the thing to death!

Ralf

Alibre Super User
No problem with NVIDIA / Alibre-Geomagic Design,
BUT it is important to use the native screen resolution.
(Laptop display and/or monitor)

dmerrll

Hey Ralf. Thanks for the reply. I am in 1920 x 1080. I did find a newer Driver from Nvidia, not recommended by HP but what the heck at this point. New Nvidia driver is 340.29 they had issued 2 updates since march. I have Nvidi GT650M with 2g vram and 8g system ram.
quad core I7 though that could still be the bottleneck as alibre still works with one core I believe.

dmerrll

Well I went to Nvidia control panel assigned GM2014 to Nvidia. Went to part and opened Cam/simulate/and check part. Nvidia resource monitor shows zip usage from GM2014, then crash display driver. Try the same thing watching resource monitor 8 cores GM activity on one, pegged! Went to program to assign affinity ( used to assign all but one if assign all windows takes over assignations) cannot change affinity. Went to permissions and everything seems right. Can assign cores to all other programs just not GM2014. Run as administrator with full privileges still cannot assign cores.
My Direct X is current.
GM2014 crash,crash,crash!

dmerrll

Thanks for the information. I have read the paper and GM2014 should access the GPU as other programs do but it does not. All direct x calls should be thru the GPU but I cannot force nor coddle the program into using anything but one logical core and basic display driver.
Youtube functions better that GM2014.
David

PS the program does not crash as much when I am not using AlibreCam with it. So I need another $8000 or so to get a program that works as well as Alibre 2011 and AlibreCam 2.0.0.69 at least then I had motion LOL!
David

SW wants $13000 if you add the $5000 for the Mecsoft portion. Cheaper than the money I am losing. Mecsoft support is helpfull just cannot answer to the GM2014 side of things