What's new

How to unconstrain from origin???

jfleming

Alibre Super User
See image attached.

Original geometry created using the Obround Shape tool, and constrained to the origin.

I no longer want it to be constrained to the origin and want to move it, but can't.

Other than deleting the shape, and recreating it, which will then destroy all my additional features which depend on this original shape.

???????????

Attachments

• AD.jpg
    AD.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 10

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Hold down Ctrl key whilst dragging the anchoring node of the obround away from the origin.

AlexB

Hold down Ctrl key whilst dragging the anchoring node of the obround away from the origin.
Nice, that's a useful feature I didn't know. However, while it worked by ctrl-dragging the node for circles, I needed to ctrl-drag the outer lines to move the constrained obround. Is this the case for you?

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
85% of the time, it works every time :D

If you have other stuff reliant on that node, it'll often seem like the node will still be "stuck" in place after you try to break it with the Ctrl key. You might even see some adjacent Sketch features loosen up even if the node itself still refuses to move. But it looks like you just have the node set to the origin and nothing else, so you should be fine.

I can see why Alibre doesn't have a constraint icon for Coincident, when you think about it nearly every point is going to have a Coincident for the line it leads into. Sketches would quickly turn into a mess of constraint icons