What's new

How to view a hidden dimension?

ReedMikel

Using Atom3D, I have a rectangle (rect1) figure within another rectangle (rect2). Initially I wanted the bottom of rect1 to be at same Y value as bottom of rect2, so I added a dimension of 0 between the 2 bottom lines. It moved rect2 so that it's bottom line was exactly at same Y coordinate as bottom of rect1 - as expected/wanted. BUT, now I want to change that dimension to no longer be 0. Problem is that the dimension is hidden (it hid as soon as I entered a value of 0). How do I get that hidden dimension, which is acting like a constraint, to show so I can edit it?

I'm sure my technique of using the 0 dimension to make 2 lines overlay one another is not the best. I'm sure there must be a simpler way to impose some form of constraint to make the 2 lines share the same Y (or X) coordinate? I'm quite the newbie :)

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
A co-linear sketch constraint would be faster.

Can't you see the zero character to click on in the sketch?, that will open dimension to edit.

Open Equation Editor and look for the zero (check the parent sketch just to make sure) - change the value there in the Equation field.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Are all dimensions 'hiding'? Check that sketch dimension visibility is toggled ON (Ctrl+Shift+E)

ReedMikel

A co-linear sketch constraint would be faster.

Can't you see the zero character to click on in the sketch?, that will open dimension to edit.

Open Equation Editor and look for the zero (check the parent sketch just to make sure) - change the value there in the Equation field.
No, only dimensions of 0 just disappear/hide... Never used Equation Editor before - I found my 0" dimension and edited it to the new value I wanted - now the dimension displays. So something about 0 dimensions not displaying that's seems quirky to me...

Thanks for the co-linear constraint tip - I missed that one.

ReedMikel

I know there's a Snap to Grid option, but how about a Snap to Object? Many times when I am drawing an object I want one of its edges to align with an existing object's edge, but quite often it's not on a grid line. Maybe there is some such feature that I can enable - basically it would work much like Snap To Grid, even having a Snap Threshold setting...

While I now know I can use the co-linear constraint feature (for lines/rectangles etc), it would still be quicker if it just snapped to closest object (within the Threshold range) while initially dawing/creating the figure...

sz0k30

I don't know, so just my opinion, but I would be surprised if many guys use the "Snap to grid" while sketching.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Personally the only time I ever use grid is when 3D sketching (so I can see the active principle plane). Mostly I find grid just clutters the workspace.

You can apply sketch constraints between existing edges an the current sketch.

ReedMikel

Personally the only time I ever use grid is when 3D sketching (so I can see the active principle plane). Mostly I find grid just clutters the workspace.

You can apply sketch constraints between existing edges an the current sketch.
But while drawing, say a rectangle, can you constrain one of the edges to align with an existing figure's edge? Or, just draw the rectangle close to where you want it, then do the constrain step?

ReedMikel

I have the same issue when drawing a line and I want an endpoint to snap to an existing vertex... Even if I zoom way in, often the new line's endpoint does not snap to the existing vertex. Then if I try to exit Deactivate Sketch, a warning popup displays something about an open figure/loop (I forget the exact verbiage)...

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Depends exactly how you do it.

If you want second rectangle to 'stick' to edge of existing feature, then Use 'Project to sketch' (reference figure, maintain association) on the edge that you want rectangle to stick to - that provides a 'target' - when sketching the next rectangle you'll see the sketch snapping indicator display when you approach the line.

If you don't use Project to sketch, you have to apply the constraint between edge and rectangle after sketching the rectangle (applying the constraint auto generates the 'target, much like Project to sketch did.

Similar for vertex - if you project to sketch the edge, the end nodes are available as targets. If not you have to use coincident or intersection constraints afterwards.

ReedMikel

Thanks! I took a quick look at the Project to Sketch tool, but upon first read it's way over my head :) Oh how I wish it had a Snap to Object feature! I would envision that as I dragged one of my example rectangle's edges towards an existing edge of another figure, it might highlight the potential target and let me snap to it...

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Have you seen the video that @Max created on the Atom training page? Follow this link then scroll down to the Project to Sketch video.
I think that after watching the video Project to Sketch won't be so confusing.

ReedMikel

Have you seen the video that @Max created on the Atom training page? Follow this link then scroll down to the Project to Sketch video.
I think that after watching the video Project to Sketch won't be so confusing.

I watched the video, but can't seem to get Project to Sketch to perform my simple rectangles example. I started with Activate Sketch, creating my first rectangle1, Deactivate Sketch, then Extrude Boss to extrude rectangle1 to .5". Then I right clicked on one of the faces of rectangle1 and Activate Sketch. In sketch mode, I clicked on Project to Sketch (accepted default of Create sketch figure), clicked on one of the edges of rectangle1 (it now showed in Entities to project box). But what do I do next? My goal is to simply create a new rectangle2, where the bottom edge of rectangle2 has the same Y coordinate as bottom edge of rectangle1. I have had success using co-linear constraint foe this text exercise, but I'd like to see how Project to Sketch would be used to accomplish the same task... Thanks!

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I think your missing the Okay after you're done selecting edges to project. See if this short video helps:

One thing to remember is that if you opt to create sketch figures and you place another sketch on top of them your extrude will fail because it will have an open loop along with the closed rectangle loop. That's why I used "Create reference figure" in my example.

Last edited:

ReedMikel

Thanks - my problem was that once I clicked on Project to Sketch, I was trying to then select the bottom edge of the existing rectangle for the Entities to project box (and it never listed the edge in the entities box). I thought I would need to select the one edge I was interested in projecting, but I see it doesn't quite work like that...
I wish when in sketch mode they had a snap to edge/vertex feature that would automatically display a focus pointer (or magnifier - not sure what they call it?) just like in your example. Just seems like it would be a very handy feature, saving some steps... But, being such a newbie, maybe there are other considerations I'm not aware of?