What's new

Hyperlinks in 2D drawings ?

shmbry

Is it possible to insert a hyperlink into a 2D drawing that will open the corresponding 3D pdf exploded view ?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Not quite what you asked for, but you can
* Publish 2D Drawing to PDF
* Publish 3D PDF, appending to the PDF file produced for the drawing

shmbry

I have tried merging with both online and downloaded software. Although I was able to combined the two documents into one, the hyperlinks within the explode were not printed/transferred.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need additional software - just continue previously published PDF from Alibre exploded view (File menu).

You do have to check the option to include step descriptions

BigKahunaFL

Sorry to "hijack" this, but in a similar vein, is it possible to put a hyperlink (clickable when viewed electronically) on a drawing to, let's say, a manufacturer's website?

BigKahunaFL

More than likely, just a link to a manufacturer or suppliers website where detailed data such as material properties, or available options of their product is spelled out.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
@BigKahunaFL I'm not sure I follow correctly. Do you want to be able to click a link in an Alibre Drawing or a PDF made from Alibre Design with a link that people you send it to can click?

BigKahunaFL

It's really not all that important, so please don't waste too much time with this. I was simply looking for a way, to jump to an external website while I'm working on a design within the Alibre Environment from either the Assembly or Drawing modes. It would simply be an easier way for me to have this link available within the the Assembly / Drawing environment to help organize my thoughts/research whilst creating the assembly.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
There is a web-link property available for parts/assemblies. If you populate that property, and add a suitable field to your drawing template, then the link will display in the drawing workspace. It doesn't behave a as a clickable link in the drawing workspace, but does when the drawing is published to PDF.

Not sure if that helps at all.

[Edited to correct spelling]

Last edited:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
There is a web-link property available for parts/assemblies. If you populate that property, and add a suitable filed to your drawing template, then the link will display in the drawing workspace. It doesn't behave a as a clickable link in the drawing workspace, but does when the drawing is published to PDF.

Not sure if that helps at all.
Where is that bit of trivia stored?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
It's really not all that important, so please don't waste too much time with this. I was simply looking for a way, to jump to an external website while I'm working on a design within the Alibre Environment from either the Assembly or Drawing modes. It would simply be an easier way for me to have this link available within the the Assembly / Drawing environment to help organize my thoughts/research whilst creating the assembly.
I made an Alibre Script just for that kinda thing a while ago.
https://www.alibre.com/forum/index.php?threads/script-release-project-links-v2.20933/

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Where is that bit of trivia stored?
Not sure what you mean Nate. The web link is a standard property, adding a field to a template to then display properties from part/assembly in drawings is routine stuff.

I just tried it out with a contrived example to see what behaviour the link would have in the drawing environment, and in the resulting PDF.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I mean the info about web-link being a clickable link in a PDF. Somebody programed that behavior but didn't document it for the users to use?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
That could be a default of the built in (HOOPS) PDF writer, rather than an explicit choice by Alibre, but yes ideally should be documented. Now that Alibre doesn't include the help file in the installer, there's less pressure to keep the help file size down; not sure exactly where this would naturally fit in the help.