What's new

I can't "make flexible" an assembly

Toybuilder

Hi,

I'm working on a design where several electronics assemblies connect to each other through mating connectors. There is a motheboard, on which the daughterboard is mounted, and then various option boards that go on the daughterboard.

The connector placements on the option boards are "rigid". I want to be able to play around with the placement of these option boards to optimize their placement (for cabling and other accessibility issues).

So, I want to have the mating connectors on the daughterboard assembly to be movable, but I want to do this in the master assembly that contains the motheboard, daughterboard, and option boards.

I've used "make flexible" in the past -- but when I try to make the daughterboard assembly flexible, the option is greyed out. Is there a way to figure out why I'm not allowed to make this assebly flexible?

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Is there a Pattern in the Assembly? I seem to remember a problem with that, in the past.

Toybuilder

No, I am not using arrays.

I've been trying to reproduce this.

When I first make the daugherboard assembly, and incorporate it into the master assembly, the daughterboard is allowed to be made flexible.

Then, when I add a constraint between it and a plane in the option board assembly, the ability to be made flexible disappears. Deleting the offending constraint, in one instance, reverted the ability to make the daughterboard flexible. However, in another attempt, make flexible was unavailable, even after deleting all constraints on the daughterboard.

This is very irksome. :(

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Toybilder,

Please try:

- Close all parts/subassemblies, assemblies...
- Home window
- New (empty) Assembly
- Now you can insert your existing assembly as a subassembly
- Make Flexible

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
How many levels of sub-assembly are in your model? I seem to recall that there may be a limit on how 'far down' the make flexible command can work. I'm not sure of the detail, but this may be worth checking on.