What's new

I need help figuring out either a sweep/loft for a homework project.

Tapap

Hello. We've on a mid semester project for extra credit so if I can't figure this out then it's not the end of the world. I have to create a 3d object. Up to now I've only made 2d sketches in class with a lot of focus on constraints and dimensions so a lot of this is new.

The object I'm trying to make has a tube like elbow that bends 90°. One opening of the tube is 110mm and the other is 100mm. I tried creating arc to the center of each circle then sweeping the two together using the arc as a guide. It doesn't like two different sized ends. I tried lofting and I made a spline (an arc didn't line up) from the bottom of one circle to the bottom of the other to use as a guide. It won't go. If I ignore the guide then it straight shots the two together. I. Not sure how to approach this.

Only thing I can think of is add in a few angled planes and gradually step down the size and loft them all together then fillet the edges to smooth it out

Nick952

Sweep a solid with Draft Angle, adjusting the draft angle as required to get the end Dia correct and then Shell the resulting bend.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Centre line loft
Centre line loft cut
@bigseb , I don't have the Beta loaded (yet), but is "Thin" an option for the new CL Loft? If it is then you can use that and eliminate the Loft Cut.
OR sketch both ID and OD into the profile sketches and be done in one loft.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
@bigseb , I don't have the Beta loaded (yet), but is "Thin" an option for the new CL Loft? If it is then you can use that and eliminate the Loft Cut.
OR sketch both ID and OD into the profile sketches and be done in one loft.
There is no thin loft. And you can only loft one profile at a time, so including the OD and ID in one sketch isn't possible. The only 'new' thing I did was to use a centreline guide curve.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
There is no thin loft.

So.... Geez, what a disappointment! o_O :mad: - another example of adding an "new" feature that is half baked. Yeah it looks good at first blush then when you want to use it to actually save some time and frustration it doesn't have all the features. Always in a hurry to get something new in the program but not thinking thru to its completion and implementing it when it is fully vetted and all possible functions added.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
So.... Geez, what a disappointment! o_O :mad: - another example of adding an "new" feature that is half baked. Yeah it looks good at first blush then when you want to use it to actually save some time and frustration it doesn't have all the features. Always in a hurry to get something new in the program but not thinking thru to its completion and implementing it when it is fully vetted and all possible functions added.
Actually I've been playing with the new loft tool a lot and its a huge improvement. The face-off thing is very cool and works off non-planar faces too. Of course it has limitations but it's a great step forward.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
ACIS doesn't support thin lofts unfortunately. It's not half baked; it's not possible...