What's new

I need more RAM

tripar1

I need more RAM

Hi,

I have a question about the memory (RAM) that Alibre uses.
When I open it, memory for that particular program (alibre.exe) reaches 90MB
After a couple of hours creating, modifying dwgs/parts/assemblies, memory for alibre.exe reaches 400MB (with only main window of Alibre opened). I have 512MB in my computer, so at 400MB, windows runs very slow. Is there memory leak in Alibre? is this normal?

rbrian

More Ram ?

Hi Tripar1 (real name =?)!

I have 1 GB (1,018,088 KB) SD RAM in a 550 MHz PIII Tower System.

I currently have opened Alibre Design (alibre.exe = PID 520, CPU time = 0:44:14, Mem usage = 27,120) - it has been opened all day, working with one part only - as I worked on my last Tutorial to get it done and finished.
Also running are - Word 97 (4,576K), SnagIt (10,424K), AOL Press (9,982K), WS-FTP95 (712K), one folder is open and a few web pages. I show MEM Usage at 554604 in Task Manager, and there are 51 processes running just now. I am running Windows 2000 Pro.

I know what you are describing - and I actually think it is Sloppy OS Memory release issues. I used to experience this in 1993-94 - using an Amiga in the Arts & Graphics & Video Field. It often needed to actually be restarted just to get back your lost memory.

What this means is simply - A new Program opens, or a new window opens - and when it is closed - the memory is not released back into the pool! Typically - it is OS issue.

I still get is sometimes now - without Alibre running - just a whole lot of new (Open in a new window) browser sessions! All of a sudden - I start getting errors, and then Virtual Memory issues! For example - one instance shows IEXPLORE.EXE using 36,152K, while the one above it - uses just 5,620K! (More than Alibre, and - it is at the bottom of the list!) Robert

Cameraman

Go for the gig . . . our PC's here did not run Alibre well at all with only 512MB, but they are singing with a gig . . .

Regards,
Greg :D

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

You may want to try Fast Defrag. It is cheap and seems to work fine recalling unused memory.

We run AD with 512Mb RAM (1 PC, mine) or with 1Gb RAM (2 PCs). I can usually work pretty well unless assemblies grow too big (over 150-200 parts), but definetely more RAM is good.

There are a few workarounds for speed. Here is a post you may care to review.

mr.ska

I also get a huge amount of memory sucked up whenever Alibre opens. A typical day will see it around 400 MB, and it's not uncommon to have it up over 600 MB when I'm opening moderate-sized assemblies.

If this is an OS issue (which I could believe), what can I actually do about it?