What's new

I REALLY Hate this!

Hunter

They're going to struggle to machine that :D

Jokes aside, did you create new faces or is it purely parametric changes that caused that?

JST

Alibre Super User
That just looks like standard Alibre behavior. A bit worse than usual.

I am by now used to the idea that ANY update, EVEN THE MOST MINOR....... MAY RESULT IN A VAST AMOUNT OF RED AND DISSOCIATED DIMENSIONS. OR, other problems such as that shown. I do not LIKE that, but it happens, seemingly randomly. Sometimes tiny changes trigger it, and sometimes large changes cause no issue.

It's just the way Alibre works. it's not new, it has existed since before the "Geomagic" years. It has yet to be fixed. It seems to have yet to be even "admitted" by Alibre.

And, yes, it is a large productivity suck when it happens.

It is particularly bad because it normally happens in two cases..... 1) when checking the models and drawings and correcting minor issues just before delivering to the client 2) When "simple last minute changes" are requested by the client, and are implemented in the model.

In EITHER case, that means that the "quick updates" become much more work and time. If there are red dimensions, or a mess as illustrated by Albie, then not only the dimensions need to be corrected, but ALSO the entire drawing must be checked, to verify that the needed dimensions are all still present.

Mostly, the added time cannot be billed, since it is NOT due to a client request. It is a "problem with the tools".

Just to be VERY CLEAR here.... I DO understand that if dimensions are left without their features, due to a change, that they may be red. That is normal and expected. What is complained about is not that.

netcp

This bug should be solved with Alibre V23 udate 1
At least it is mentioned in the solved bugs list.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I am using V23 Update 1, so no, not fixed.
The changes to the model were:
Angle of the boss
Circlip grooves
Spacer section in the bore
Tapped hole.

@Hunter I actually did both, new faces and parametric changes.

Uman

I have experience this behavior when parts, such as nuts and screws, are downloaded from McMaster Carr in STEP or IGES files and placed in model.
Do a "find part in explorer" to find culprit.

-Uman

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Disassociated dimensions and the lack of features/tools give so much trouble that I find it currently easier to create my views 1:1 in Alibre Design Drawings and export to AutoCAD to dimension and detail.

JST

Alibre Super User
OUCH!.... That has to hurt.

I have trouble with dimensions, but not quite THAT much trouble.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
OUCH!.... That has to hurt.

I have trouble with dimensions, but not quite THAT much trouble.
One example: When dealing with architectural things the cross section is almost "hung level" with respect to the horizon. Alibre Design offers no such aligning of cross sections.
Another example: The arc length dimensions, baseline dimensions, and chain dimensions I've requested for years.
I could go on.

danwilley

Here is another example of this bug. I am working on a drawing for a part. I created another sheet based on a different configuration of the same part with all chamfers suppressed and the part rotated 90 degrees, thinking the drawing might be less crowded and so easier to read. I finished the "no chamfer" sheet. Sometime later (hours) I reloaded the drawing for the part and found this scrambled mess.

This is very frustrating and such a waste of time. I wish Alibre would spend the remainder of this year just working on product stability... clean up this and other basic functions like the "detail" trim error bug (I posted to the forum a few days ago).

BTW... speaking of stability or lack of, a few days ago, I exited Alibre after a long work session (hours) only to find a second active Alibre session underneath with the same part I was working on in the Alibre instance I just ended. I did not think that was possible. I exited the second Alibre instance too. That second-instance part did not ask to be saved on exit so apparently, the part was correctly saved by Alibre instance 1. Also, there is definitely a bad memory leak. A few days ago my Alibre memory runtime footprint swelled to 1.8 gig when normally it sits around gig or so (with my current work effort).

Dan

upload_2021-7-21_9-33-41.png

The screenshot above is what the screenshot below should look like with regard to dimensions. It did for a while until Alibre went south.

upload_2021-7-21_9-34-0.png

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Alibre Design isn't intended to suffer those problems, so if your workflow has revealed a weakness it is important that you submit the problem to Support with as much background detail as possible.

In some cases, changes to underlying geometry and the internal IDs of features due to edits may inevitably lead to dissociation. Where this isn't the case, we need to work out the cause/trigger, and hopefully then find a solution.

danwilley

In both of these cases (post #1, post #12), it seems something different than disassociation is happening. I have had disassociations happen before and it is indeed because a reference point or edge has been removed. Adding chamfers after a drawing has been created is an example. In those cases, the affected drawing dimension generally stays where it was placed (on the drawing) but turns red in color. In these two cases however, not only did the drawing dimensions move way off target, they did not turn red. Only conjecture on my part, but it feels like the underlying meta-data was corrupted somehow… rather than through changes using normal work flow (ie: adding chamfers).

I still have the broken drawing and will submit the part, drawing and global parameter files to support some time later today.

Thanks,
Dan

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Here is the sheave from my first post. It was saved in the before update state. You can add it to your ticket. This issue only happens with section views.

Attachments

• 640 Dia Sheave.AD_PKG
    124.7 KB · Views: 3

danwilley

Ok great. I just added your "640 Dia Sheave" package file to my ticket (# 48818).

Also, I am actively communicating (email) with Christina in Alibre support on this ticket.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Stability, enough said! ...

upload_2021-7-29_15-31-57.png

and thats before mentioning that when you zoom right in to find a sketch problem, non of the nodes, node highlights, sketch lines actually line up (internal rounding errors!).