What's new

I'm a lofting . . . fool

IonSteve

In the attached file (just an example I made to ask this question) I have two sketched circles on two planes that I want to loft into a cylinder, with the loft following a guide curve such that the cylinder will be wavy. I get the error popup that the "guide curve does not intersect all profiles." Which seems like it should be an easy thing to fix . . . except as far as I can tell the guide curve is right on the money vis-a-vis starting and stopping on the planes and hitting the center of the two circles. As an error checking step, I swept the same sketches along the same guide curve, from both ends, and it worked fine. But no loft for me.

So, clearly, this is a basic error of understanding on my part. I am prepared to be educated.

Steve

Attachments

• Loft example.AD_PRT
    224.5 KB · Views: 27

Dave H

A sweep follows a guide curve, a loft doesn't. You need a third (or more) circle/shape in between your existing circles. See the attached example.

Attachments

• Loft example 2.AD_PRT
    390.5 KB · Views: 29

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Your guide curve doesn't touch the sketches you are trying to loft between - it needs to touch the actual sketch figure (in this case the circumference of the circles).

Trice1

Steve
I substituted a 3d sketch for your wavy line and used it as the guide curve; yes you can use guide curves when lofting if you want to. It must touch all the 2d sketches.

Attachments

• Loft example_3.AD_PRT
    551 KB · Views: 19
  • Loft Example_3.jpg
    Loft Example_3.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 29

Dave H

Trice1 said:
Steve
I substituted a 3d sketch for your wavy line and used it as the guide curve; yes you can use guide curves when lofting if you want to. It must touch all the 2d sketches.

I didn't know that. Sorry for the bogus info. I learned something new here, again!

IonSteve

PERFECT, thanks. I totally thought the guide curve had to be in the center of the circle, vs touching the circumference. I may have used some bad words while I was trying to figure this out.

Thanks again--

Steve