What's new

I'm confused - constraints and dimensions

GreggCooper

I'm new to Alibre. Coming from another tool Adesk Inventor. Trying to get my head around the sketch tool. I just need a little coaching. Trying to get fully constrained. How can this sketch even exist? I'm clearly missing how to drive the constraint tools. Is there a tutorial that actually demonstrates "best practice"? Thanks in Advance.

1713048613651.png

GreggCooper

I need a link to some decent sketching tutorials. Help me out please. The provided ones do not provide enough info on how to drive this tool efficiently. Thanks

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Like you said that is a 37 degree angle not a linear dimension. Also for this sketch it appears that the top line is not constrained perpendicular to the rightmost line - which may have started that angle problem.

Here are my rough order of operations for 2d constraints though I often constrain as I go every few items I sketch - just so I don't miss anything or screw up an entire sketch:
Fixed (if any)
Coincident / Concentric / Midline
Horizontal / Vertical
Collinear / Perpendicular / Parallel
Tangent
Add Dimensions
Equal

If you do screw up a sketch be sure to undo to fix it before you exit the sketching mode. The undo history is lost every time Alibre Design switches modes. And there is no way to cancel a sketch edit like some other software have.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Gregg, we can tell more if you post the file containing the sketch - for example we can check which figures each constraint applies to.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Trying to get my head around the sketch tool. I just need a little coaching. Trying to get fully constrained. How can this sketch even exist?
In your example, apply an Vertical constraint to the Reference figure that is tangent to the arc with the .480 diameter dimension and the .250" line and the end of the lower segment. That should straighten out the lines that are Perpendicular in the rest of the sketch.

It's been quite a while since I've used AutoCad or any Autodesk product but I suspect that sketching in Alibre is similar to sketching in Inventor. After all, it's lines, arcs. circles, and splines. There could be some differences in the application of constraints, maybe.

That said, in Alibre you can set/select which sketch constraints are inferred and applied while you are sketching. The remaining would be applied manually.

To set the inferred constraints start at the sketch menu and navigate to the Snap and Constraint Settings...:
selecting sketch settings.jpg

Once the dialog is open you can select/set the constraints you would prefer to be applied while you sketch:
sketch constraint inferencing.jpg

AND please indicate which level of Alibre you are using, Atom 3D, Workshop, Pro, or Expert. That will help others to tailor their replies to your request although it likely doesn't matter much in this case but could in others.

GreggCooper

Thank you for your responses. That is what I need. I'll set the snap and constraints and that should get me to an intuitive work flow. Thank you for responding!