What's new

Import 3D mathematical shape

Is there a way to import a 3D shape perhaps as an STL file and proceed as if it was an internally produced shape? Aim would be to process eg a paraboloid, thicken it, add stuff and eventually 3D print it.

dwc

Alibre Super User
Could you import as a STEP file ?
That is much easier than importing stl.
You can then process the shape at will, you just don't have the history of how the shape itself was formed.
In general though, the best is to create your 3D in AD.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Is there the possibility to have eg z = f(x,y) over an area, or within a boundary calculated ?
yes.
Calulating the points can be done in a spreadsheet. Then the curves can be "imported" with nodes from file for each "layer"...
1681134152520.png

Regards
Stefan

Thanks. Calculating the points is less the problem. More importing the surface. I can feed a point set that sufficiently matches an interpolated surface. And hope the slicer doesn't moiree my surface.
Perhaps insert surface as SAT, IGES, or Rhino files ?

Oldbelt

Alibre Super User
Is there a way to import a 3D shape perhaps as an STL file and proceed as if it was an internally produced shape?
Where do you import the shape from, what is it you call a shape ?.
Model it in AD, ewery thing can be made whit out to use spredsheets, rhino or other tools.
Calculating the points is less the problem. More importing the surface. I can feed a point set that sufficiently matches an interpolated surface.
The mat points is basis for a spline, making a section, repeated at parallel planes as much as needed to form the surface, a loft uusing the sections form the surface.
Think at is as a ships hull.
The mat. curve points can be inserted with the point import function.

Attach an exampel with imported "mat" points

Attachments

• 3DSplinePointImport (1).AD_PRT
    361.5 KB · Views: 9
The import surface is from the menu. I'd have to assemble the file first from the calculated points.
I didn't examine the project file yet.

Attachments

• alibresurface1.png
    alibresurface1.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 5