What's new

Import-Export IGS files- Looses surfaces.

kiwiavi

I thought it an error in the files I was receiving but now I don't think so. This started when I got some IGS files from Solidworks.

If I save a drawing to IGS in Alibre and then reopen the new IGS file, it converts it into multiple parts. A simple disk now becomes 50-60 segments. Is there something I'm doing wrong.

It does not seem to happen with STP files.

Thanks Wallace

A

Anonymous

Try checking stitch to solid when importing. Also if you post the file we can better assist you.

Thanks
Mark
Alibre Support Manager

kiwiavi

Thanks, here are the files.

The Step file is much better but the hole is still split into 2 halves.

Thanks Wallace

Attachments

• Bearing Spacer.IGS
    44.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Bearing Spacer.STEP
    16.8 KB · Views: 79

Ralf

Alibre Super User
I can not find a problem.

IGES - Import -> Save as Alibre part.
Please take a look.

Attachments

• Import-IGES-ok.jpg
    Import-IGES-ok.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Import-Options-1.jpg
    Import-Options-1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 102
  • Bearing Spacer.AD_PRT
    332.5 KB · Views: 118

kiwiavi

Thanks for the update.

It opens it ok but, how many edges do you have. I have 92 edges, 6 faces and 88 Vertex's

I have Alibre 11.2 which will not let me open your file.
A wok colleague has the latest version and has the same results as me.

Cheers Wallace

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Maybe I do not understand your topic: :?

Import-Export IGS files- Looses surfaces

As shown above in my example, all surfaces were imported correctly and properly displayed.
It is also possible to insert an axis.

kiwiavi

I cannot select the hole. It only selects a part as shown.

I use Alibre for getting measurements from customer drawings.
Look how many edges this unit has. It make selecting the correct point quite difficult for measuring.

Attachments

• Alibre.jpg
    Alibre.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 111

indesign

Alibre Super User
The hole is selected. The trouble is that ths is an imported part and not native.

Geometry is devided into sections like the bore. If the hole is a true radius you can get measurements on the bore. It will return the radius of the section.

kiwiavi

Thanks for the reply. So the question is - What is the solid model equivalent of a DXF file?
Or what should I request my customers to save their files as so that I can read them correctly in Alibre?

Thanks Wallace

kiwiavi

Can someone verify this.

Make a bush with a hole in Alibre. Save it as an STEP file in Alibre and then reopen it and see if it brings it back exactly as you designed it. I can't do that. It still breaks some surfaces. It looks like the STEP import facility looses some info.

indesign

Alibre Super User
There is no perfect solution. Try this. Create a part in Alibre. Export to several formats (iges, stp, etc.). Now import those parts again. They will act simular to what you are currently seeing.

These are simply a generic solid model and each software has their quirks in both export and import of these formats. The part is imported ocrrectly and each section of a true radius can be measured. The trouble will be as you already see. Geometry will not be the same as a native Alibre file and will behave differently. The hole can be measured but maybe as a radius instead of a diameter. Each half of the hole should show the radius true size and location.

The radius can be measured in both size and location.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
IGES.gif

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
If worried about the splitting of holes into 2 or 4 internal faces, you can use the 'remove face' tool to get back to a single face. It works fine on holes, but may possibly not alwys work perfectly on more complex geometry.