What's new

"Import Nodes from file tool" will not load Comma de-limited txt file

Hi All
My first time on the forum. I am trying to expand my skills on Alibre and attempting to import Nodes from file to create an Aerofoil profile in a sketch. I have followed the video tutorials for doing this with solidworks ( As there are none for Alibre).
When I browse for the file it loads but the next button does not become active. This would indicate that the file is not correct?
If there are other users who have had this problem and if you have had success would you be able to post a sample txt file to show me how the X and Y coordinates are set out and any other info which may help me.

Thanks
Southernpedro

Hi Southernpedro -- I suspect that you are working too hard for the results you need. WizoScript is the tool you need! Using it (which does require a reasonable "grounding" in Python -- something I am still working on achieving) you can organizer your "input" in any number of ways and "output" it to your Sketch in several ways -- as Reference Points, as Sketch Curve Entities, and the like.

I am located in (American) Pacific Standard Time (aka GMT-7) and have a GoToMeeting account such that it is possible for us to "get together" (screen to screen and, using "headsets" (preferably) voice to ear) to minimize chaos and confusion. My e-mail is "tangent@olympus.net" if this interests you. Please recommend a date and (GMT is usually best) time.

JST

Alibre Super User
Is that something regular Alibre even does? Or is there an advanced version I do not know about?

I can find no such "tool", no reference to it in the help, nothing in what passes for a manual (from 2012) and so forth. I found that Alibre would not even show a CSV file in any of the dialogs for opening files. But I never did find that tool.

JST

Alibre Super User
Ah, I missed the "insert from file" on the menu. I do not use the ribbon

Hi I have attached image from "Alibre Help" this is the only indication about supported file types.

Attachments

• Insert Nodes from file .JPG
    Insert Nodes from file .JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 22

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The import from file expects .csv format - you can prepare it in a spreadsheet and export as csv or manually edit a txt file and change the extension.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
wizotools.com/2016/05/31/csv-import-with-point-rotation/

Southern, in this script, there are only 3 things you have to worry about as far as the programming is concerned, aside from the csv itself.
Lines 9, 10, and 11 under "#configuration. I couldn't begin to tell what the rest of it is doing.
If you haven't installed WizoScript yet and looked at it then I will tell you that the example is of an "airfoil". Go figure.
Line 9 is the base angle of the foil or aka "angle of attack".
Line 10 is the "origin" for the sketch, furthest point forward on the leading edge.
And line 11 is where the csv file is located. You can change these values within reason. Notice that the numbers are "floats", not "integers". If you enter a floating number (decimal place) for a variable that is looking for an integer, Python will kick it out with an error.

I usually use the *desktop* when I am actively using such files. I'll move them to the Alibre work folder when I am through with them.
So don't get too wrapped up in the chore of learning the Python language. Andy (Andy J. Ayre aka Ajayre) has done an outstanding job, putting all of these scripts together.

My hat's off to you Andy!! :D

There are a lot of scripts in the library that you can use. If you start reading through them, they start to make sense. I usually ignore the
math because that is part and parcel to what the script does. I just leave it alone. (I'm *not* a mathematician)

Good luck and give Wizo a try.

Attachments

• Wing Section.jpg
    Wing Section.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 11

oldfox

Alibre Super User
show me how the X and Y coordinates are set out

You can build the text file with any text editor with which you are familiar. Once you have the .csv file then you just have to *edit* the Wizo script to point to your own path and file name. Then run the script and, voila!! There's your airfoil as a sketch in Alibre.
Just extrude/sweep boss to get your solid model.

Since you brought up the topic of *Aerofoils* are you familiar with the UIUC Airfoil Database?

http://m-selig.ae.illinois.edu/ads/coord_database.html

This one will keep you busy. :)

See CSV example attached.

Attachments

• Example.csv.txt
    3 KB · Views: 16
Hi All
I have cracked the issue and now are inserting from file correctly into a sketch.
I am using DAT files from the database as you indicated Oldfox.
I just needed to place closer attention to the data set numbers from the foil site, once I reconfigured the numbers correctly the file imported into the sketch

Thanks all for your suggestions

Southernpedro

It maybe a good Idea for the Alibre boys to change the help menu from the word TXT to CSV file. This really confused me and Im sure other user would get caught out by it.

Sourthernpedro

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
I also used WizoScipt to model an airfoil. I forgot where I where got the data file from, just I know it was a CSV file.

WingPanel 1 Rib V3 Prt.jpg WingPanel 1 SlidePanelAssm.jpg

When I remember where the WizoScrit file is I will post ti here.:rolleyes: