What's new

Import problems.

JGC

Hi,

Until today I have never had problems importing STEP or IGS files unless they where corrupt.

But today I find that I cannot import a STEP file which I know will import into Altium Designer (PCB CAD).
The only error I see is a message which says "File was not imported due to Errors".
But there is no clue as to what the errors may be.

I have also tried to import an IGS version of the same part.
I get as far as the options window, but when I click OK it just returns to the Home window.

I'm only an occasional user, so it is quite possible I've done something wrong but I'd be grateful for any pointers or thoughts.

I've attached the files in question on the off chance that someone is willing to try them.

Cheers,

John

Attachments

• 31-1693.igs
    645 KB · Views: 11
  • 31-1693.stp
    177.3 KB · Views: 20

bigseb

Alibre Super User
You can't import them because them are curves, not solids or surfaces.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    28.2 KB · Views: 4

JGC

Yes, but when I import the STP file in Altium Designer I get this which seems perfectly normal.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    22.4 KB · Views: 403

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
That can happen with some files - not quite sure what causes it, presumably different interpretations of STEP standards.

You can get around the issue by importing into CADExchanger and then Exporting as ACIS (.sat) - GD will then open it. I just tried it here. Sometimes even exporting as STEP from an intermediary program is enough to fix it, but not in this case.

JGC

Thanks David,

Rob at Mintronics had no problems importing and has sent me a GM part version. So I guess I have some incorrect setting or a corrupt installation.

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling when I get a moment.

John

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting - It wouldn't import for me on current version of GD (at least not with my 'usual' settings - I'll play around again later). I'll check with Rob what settings he uses.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
OK played again - the IGES will import but the STEP would not.

Didn't try all import options but reverted to my 'difficult files' options of Face processing = none, turn off all other import options.

JST

Alibre Super User
Interesting.

NEITHER will open for me. When I try to open the iges, all the proper things happen up to the last click.

On the import file options, when OK is clicked, there is a flash of a progress bar at the bottom of the window, and then nothing. No evidence that anything was imported, or even attempted to be imported. Just a flash of a progress bar, and back to square one waiting for a command.

At least the STEP file shows an error box saying the file has errors. For IGES, there is no information, acts like it did something, but does nothing in fact.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
In my earlier post neither file open in GD. I then opened the step file in Moi and got the curves as in the image. I didn't bother opening the iges in Moi...

After reading the follow-up posts I tried the iges in Moi and got this:

Aha! So there are solid/surface bodies. But the curves are there too...

So this would indicate that GD cannot open any file contain curves. Interesting. I always thought that the heal function took care of that.

Attachments

• 01.PNG
    01.PNG
    162.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 02.PNG
    02.PNG
    170 KB · Views: 3

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Anyway I deleted the curves and re-exported the remaining solid. Here you go...

Attachments

• 03.PNG
    03.PNG
    72.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 31-1693.AD_PRT
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Some more testing. Catia could open the iges file but not the step file.

Attachments

• 01.PNG
    01.PNG
    33.5 KB · Views: 3

JGC

Thanks everyone, it's great to get this support.

Yesterday.

My symptoms where the same as JST's.

After posting here I sent the IGS & STP file to a Solidworks user. They converted one of the files to Solidworks format. But the SW version wouldn't import for me.

I then sent all 3 versions to Mintronics where Rob imported the Solidworks version and converted it to a GM part. Rob's import settings where;
- Stitch To Solid
- Heal
- Make Tolerant
- All other options off

I also tried a GM install repair and rebooted my laptop a couple of times with no improvement.

Today.

When I try the SW & IGES versions with Rob's settings they now work for me. (These are also the settings I used yesterday.)
The STP does not.

I tried this before undertaking any other GM work and I haven't opened any other files. I'm currently creating a sheet metal enclosure which will have the part in question mounted on it (fuse holder). To do this I am also creating an assembly and some other parts and sheet metal.

IGS still works after opening and editing the assembly.

IGS still works after opening a sheet metal part.

IGS still works after opening a small part.

Summary.

STP file cannot be imported at all.

There is some action or combination of actions in GM that causes a problem with the import of the IGS & SW files. I'll try again after a day of GM use and see if the imports still work.

Cheers,

John

JST

Alibre Super User
Those are my defaults on import. Did not work.

Oddly, tried it today with same settings, after reading your response, and it DID import, similar to your experience, using the same downloaded file as before.

All I can suppose is that for some reason one of those was NOT set before.

Alternately, I did previously reset my "user,net" file for other reasons (after the failure to load), so that may have had some effect as well

Attachments

• 31-1693.jpg
    31-1693.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 5