What's new

Importing Alibre Sheet metal, as a part

steveastro

Importing Alibre Sheet metal, as a part

Hi,
Is there any way to re-import an Alibre sheet metal component as a PART ? The component I have designed in sheet metal is getting very complicated, and our sheet metal makers prefer to do it their way than mine ! To that end they want a clean DXF file, but I need to make heavy mods to the existing sheet metal, that working on a "part" instead would facilitate.

Thanks

Steve

cnc

Hi Steve
What tools do you need that are not in sheetmetal?Have you got your part modeling toolbar active in sheet metal.

robdavis

Exports as a .SAT file and reload as a dumb Alibre part file – not very helpful.

I expect your fabricator wants to use a “clean” .DXF file for his laser cutting equipment. To him clean means free of extraneous lines, all intersections radiused to .0.5mm minimum, all text removed (a single dimension as a sanity check is recommended). You, him or Alibre has to do this work.

I have previously logged Part/Sheet Metal to .DXF for laser cutting as an Enhancement but with little response!

You might post your part in Binaries for us to see the potential problems and provide further assistance.

steveastro

Re:

cnc said:
Hi Steve
What tools do you need that are not in sheetmetal?Have you got your part modeling toolbar active in sheet metal.
A large (well for us it is=) st. st. case that started out as a simple box, but has turned into something with two mitred corners, and a base to the case which is offset from the other sides - making it NOT fold out of one piece of metal. I don´t see how I can draw it as a "sheet metal component", when its effecitvely an assembly.

I DID export each face of a stp model as a sketch and rebuilt it from there in the end.
Steve