What's new

Importing .iges file gears and making them function

Since i can't cut gears can I import .iges files and make them function iin a motion study?

I looked at cutting them using a gear calculator!! Not happening. But i don't know if i could make them work either!! This something I've never done!!

albie0803

Alibre Super User
What Are you actually trying to achieve?
Gears in cad are really only eye candy as the important details are the correct centre distances and the OD of the gear for clearances. Basic gears are easy to play with but start to get complicated when using helical gears or deliberately adjusting the centre distance or gear size. Changing the helix of helical gears changes the OD and gears are often oversized/undersized for various reasons.

To answer your question, yes you can import gears and Expert and maybe Professional has rotational constraints so you could animate them.

What I'm trying to do is visualize the relationship between one shaft and another. I've got a mechanism in there that can vary the relationship massively and so I need one will to turn at 1/4 of the speed of the the other in one configuration and 1/2 the speed in another!

I need to see if with the drive I've created if I can achieve the relative timing I want. I have no need for bevel or worm gears, just straight cut gears! The gears are only for timing.

The gears will serve to give me the 1/4 & 1/2 speed i'm looking for!! Alibre doesn't allow to drive by cog belts, chains and or gears as i understand it!!! This is just a way to study the timing events in relationship. Got any ideas???

Last edited:
Yes I have tried the gear constraing but I have just discovered that I've had issues engendered by my keboard! It is one that is formatted to swing both ways mac/pc. It has that mac keyborad that i really like. So i'll be trying it again about right now. Appreciate your patience!! i am learning my lessons!! i'll let you know what i find out!