What's new

Importing .ipt/.iam Files

Acara

Is there a good way to do this? I currently have version 21 all the way to 24 (will be upping my product support tonight to v26). I tried to import and keep existing geometry as I work with Inventor but wasn't able to achieve any real results for features I could work with. Any thoughts? I think at one point I tried saving it as a universal file type and still it had a hard time.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
All non-native imports are dumb solids without any feature history. You can add or cut away material with standard features. The Direct Editing tools allow you to move faces, re-size holes, and various other tasks.

Acara

All non-native imports are dumb solids without any feature history. You can add or cut away material with standard features. The Direct Editing tools allow you to move faces, re-size holes, and various other tasks.
Are there plans to implement a tool like this? Currently it seems like the tool they let you use just must not work then if it's all just going to import as a dumb solid.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Like what?

Are you looking for a guesswork based reconstruction of the original design tree?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
A tool similar to Featureworks in SOLIDWORKS would be freaking AWESOME!
While it may be a good tool for some, I've never found SolidWorks' Featureworks to be very effective. The few times I used it I was left with a stack of features that were easier to create individually on a manual rebuild - features that I could parameterize for a better model.