What's new

Importing parts

sz0k30

I have 2 part files. They are different, but each has similarities and features (many sketches) that I would like to have in the other part file without recreating them. Is it possible to import a part file into another part file (not an assembly). Then I could edit or delete the sketches and features I did not need. Thanks.

Roman

sz0k30

Lets say that PART-A has left side data that I need and that PART-B has right side data that I need. I want to create PART-C that has lh data from PART-A and rh data from PART-B, but I don't want it to be an assembly. The data on each side is made up of many sketches and is either too time consuming or complicated to redo. How do I do it without recreating one of the sides? Thanks.

Roman

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
A part Boolean may be worth looking into. It may or may not be quite what you need.

ASP

as david said a boolean could work, Part C = Part A +/- Part B
If you need only some geometries from Part A or Part B, you could create an assembly of A+B and model Part C in dependence of A and B using project to sketch method.

sz0k30

Thanks guys, but the boolean didn't give me what I wanted. I just want to be able to add (Import ?) 1 live editable solid into another live editable solid and be able to manipulate it as I want as though it were just 1 part. If Part-A is made up of 20 sketches and part-B is made up of 35 sketches I want Part-C to have 35 sketches after the merge and before I start to modify it.

Roman

sz0k30

Thanks guys. I spoke too quickly when I said that Boolean didn't give me what I wanted. While It isn't as easy as I was hoping for, with A LOT of trial and error I did finally get was I was looking for.

Roman

BernardK

Alibre Super User
Assuming you don't have access to configurations, booleans are definitely the right way to go here. Handed parts can be made by boolean uniting one hand and mirroring the result. Variants can be produced by creating the base common part, boolean uniting the common part and adding the variant features. The advantage of using booleans is that the base part can be edited and the changes will ripple through all the variants. If done properly the results can be very effective.