What's new

In 2D drawing, how to draw center-line for one hole ?

Drutort

its nice when it works, if not your pretty much forced to go into sketch mode and draw it, then change the layer or line type? and make sure if your going to dim anything of off it that it is constrained some way or another. Which by the way in 2D drawings it sucks vs 3D model (the constraints)

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
As a matter of training, practice and habit, if I can avoid it, I never dimension to Center Marks or Center Lines on drawings. I dimension to the part Features not their annotations. That gets around the issue of center marks/lines becoming unassociated with the feature they are annotating and the related dimension not updating with any changes. Just sayin'.

MCATI

Hi Harold, I did try hundreds times to dimension to center line, as we make proposal drawings, as basement, equipment distance, etc.. the center line dimension is a must. With so many times such dimension, everything just works perfect, if your 3D model in right place, you will get exactly the right 2D dimension. Just want to clarify that it works well, thanks

Drutort

As a matter of training, practice and habit, if I can avoid it, I never dimension to Center Marks or Center Lines on drawings. I dimension to the part Features not their annotations. That gets around the issue of center marks/lines becoming unassociated with the feature they are annotating and the related dimension not updating with any changes. Just sayin'.

ya that is a good point, and hence why I try to constrain at least the center line to be, with a point to line and make sure the line is also constrained as a vertical/horizontal

But still even with the above their is a risk of things becoming unassociated for sure, even with a basic regen and save of the model, esp when dealing with config/global param, I have seen that happen and makes you scratch your head like why?

RMB click on the hole and select "Inert Center". OR LMB click on the view border and from the pop up menu select "+" Centers from Manage View.
Harold -- I grabbed your Reply and have added it to my "1001 Slick Tricks for Alibre Design note set. I have credited it to "HaroldL" though I will be happy to give (shall we say) "more accurate credit" is you wish (and you can e-mail me at tangent@olympus.net). It is, after all, a joint effort. -- Lew

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
@Lew_Merrick Here is another hidden gem. Don't ask me where or when in the last 12 years I learned it.
There is a hidden Super Regenerate feature accessible in assembly mode only by pressing Ctrl+Shift+F5 at the same time. I've been told this will fully regenerate all the parts in the open assembly and then the assembly. I've found it sometimes gets messed up on configurations - only updating the default/first configuration fully.

This currently will not - nor will any regen - reload parts/subassemblies/etc. from the filesystem or m-files/ vault. Also this currently will not - nor will any regen - bring in parts/subassemblies/etc. that were opened separately.

Hi Nate -- OK, I have started the "1001 Slick Tricks for Alibre Design" file. I do have things that need to be "added" to it, but it currently shows as:

RMB click on the hole and select "Inert Center". OR LMB click on the viewborder and from the pop up menu select "+" Centers from Manage View. --
Harold L

--

There is a hidden Super Regenerate feature accessible in assembly mode only by pressing Ctrl+Shift+F5 at the same time. I've been told this will fully regenerate all the parts in the open assembly and then the assembly. I've found it sometimes gets messed up on configurations - only updating the default/first configuration fully.

This currently will not - nor will any regen - reload parts/subassemblies/etc. from the filesystem or m-files/ vault. Also this currently will not - nor will any regen - bring in parts/subassemblies/etc. that were opened separately.
-- NateLiqGrav​

-- Lew

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Here is another hidden gem. Don't ask me where or when in the last 12 years I learned it.

With great power... please realize that this is an undocumented feature (internal tool) for a reason. Does it work? Yup. Does Alibre and you define "work" to mean the same thing? No. This tool does something technical, and often times undesirable (depending on your modeling habits). It has a propensity to blow stuff up (depending on your modeling habits) more often than you, as a user, might like. It isn't broken - it's doing exactly what we ask it to do. Is it something most people should be doing? Perhaps not. Should you do it on a large assembly? Almost definitely not (grab a barrel of coffee and a bag of patience).

That said, YMMV. Do not "willy nilly" do this. Do it with purpose, if you do it at all.

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents, but having a key combination (even one that is highly unlikely to be done on "accident") used for internal software troubleshooting seems like a bad idea. Especially when you say, "This tool does something technical, and often times undesirable..."