What's new

inserting a boolean into an assembly

Jasper

I used an assembly as a "tool" to create a design boolean (subtract) in another part (the "blank"). Saved everything, and closed. I then reopened that assembly and attempted to insert the boolean part into the assembly. A dialog popped up saying something like "unable to insert (partname) into (assembly)" or something like that.

Can a boolean part be inserted into the assembly that was used as its tool? I can see now as I write this that maybe it shouldn't...

anyway, the manual wasn't much help, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
PJ

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
:D Salutations PJasper :D

I use Boolean untie and sub parts and sub assemblies in to another assembly alot. So it is possibly to use a Boolean parts/sub-assembly.

Can you upload your model, so we can see whats going on and possible suggest a fix.

Rocket Nut

P.S.
What version of GM are you using?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
This would create an impossible to make circular dependency. See example below.

a as boolean part
b as blank part
c as tool assembly
d as original parts in c assembly

a=b-c and c=d+a

therefore
a=b-c
a=b-(d+a)
a=b-(d+a(b-(d+a)))
a=b-(d+a(b-(d+(b-(d+a)))))
a=b-(d+a(b-(d+(b-(d+(b-(d+a)))))))
... and so on

also
c=d+a
c=d+(b-c)
c=d+(b-(d+b-c))
c=d+(b-(d+b-(d+b-c)))
c=d+(b-(d+b-(d+b-(d+b-c))))
... and so on

Instead you should put a and c into an entirely new assembly.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
NateLiqGrav said:
This would create an impossible to make circular dependency. See example below.

a as boolean part
b as blank part
c as tool assembly
d as original parts in c assembly

a=b-c and c=d+a

therefore
a=b-c
a=b-(d+a)
a=b-(d+a(b-(d+a)))
a=b-(d+a(b-(d+(b-(d+a)))))
a=b-(d+a(b-(d+(b-(d+(b-(d+a)))))))
... and so on

also
c=d+a
c=d+(b-c) :) :)
c=d+(b-(d+b-c))
c=d+(b-(d+b-(d+b-c)))
c=d+(b-(d+b-(d+b-(d+b-c))))
... and so on

Instead you should put a and c into an entirely new assembly.

I'm confused. NateLiqGrav could clearafy those equations. :)

Stop and think this through. You created a BOOLEAN Part that is based in on Assembly. You are then inserting a Part that includes (as the BOOLEAN basis) that Assembly into itself! This would be like trying to insert (if you will) Assembly-01 into Assembly-01. It would be self referential and unable to update itself as changes are made.

On the other hand, you could create (if you will) Assembly-02 that starts with Assembly-01 and then incorporates the BOOLEAN Part that is based on Assembly-01 placing the references outside of Assembly-02.

Jasper

Yep that's right...it creates a circular dependency, which clearly won't work. I figured that was the case after thinking about it some more after posting. and just to close the loop, here's what GD support said:

"You are not allowed to create circular dependencies between assemblies and parts. Booleaning a part that has one of its constituents as the object being booleaned would cause this."