What's new

Inserting a hole through multiple parts in assembly mode

groston

Inserting a hole through multiple parts in assembly mode

The subject line says it all: How do I insert a hole through multiple parts in assembly mode?

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

The short answer is... you can't. Although I believe someone is working on it.

But all is not lost. Editing parts from the assembly, you can constrain holes in one part to holes in another part, so they will follow each other.

Regards,

Jordan

groston

Grumble...

I guess this is why Alibre costs a fraction of what its competitors cost - they still have some work to do. (There is a lot of promise here - it just needs a few more revs to have some of the important features that the established CAD systems support.)

The challenge I am facing is this: I have a cylindrical object within a hole in a rectangular object. I need to bore a hole through both. Ideally, the hole in the rectangular object would go until the cylindrical bore (but I could not get the the system to accept the cylindrical bore as the 'limiting geometry'). The next problem was that I could not come up with the proper means to bore the hole in the cylinder - I tried selecting the outer surface, a tangent place and a central plane as the starting point, but I was never able to place the hole.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User

Besides, I was impressed to see this.
http://www.alibre.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 0&start=99
I could not believe this when I saw this at the first time.....

multiplepunch.png

I wish AD would have this soon....

dave2962

This can be done in a round about way. Place your parts in the assembly. Then create a round shaft part the diameter of the hole you want. Place this part in the assembly passing through all the parts where you want the hole. Then do an "Assembly Boolean" from the tools menu. Uncheck "Join all blanks" and check "Insert into current assembly". Select ok. Now you have duplicates of the parts listed in the explorer as part_assembool. Suppress the original parts and there are your parts with the hole.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User

Hi, Dave Grady.
This is handy. It's great to have this feature with Alibre. Thank you for letting to know this!

indesign

Alibre Super User

This is how I make my molds.

I create the finished part to scale. Then scale that part so it has the correct shrinkage compensation. I connect the parts as they should come off the mold including runners (I have a set of pre-made blanks for this too) and the sprue.

Now in assembly I can simply take the mold halves in the closed position and boolenan subtract my molded piece.

Like this simple one.

mold.jpg