What's new

install both 8.0 and 8.2 as seperate installs

install both 8.0 and 8.2 as seperate installs

A quick and silly question. Can I install ver8.0 and 8.2 on the same machine as seperate installs? The reason, ver 8.0 is on an older machine at work that cannot be upgraded to 8.2 (incomplete graphics but 8.0 is fine) and I have a new computer at home (amd 64) that I will use on the weekends. I understand 8.2 is not backwards compatible so I must load 8.0 on the new machine to use current projects, however I would like to use the improvements in 8.2 on new projects. I would like access to ver 8.0 on both machines to complete the current projects but I think the upgrade to 8.2 will happen automatically and not allow 8.0 files only. Sounds complicated but I'm sure I'm not the first.
Thanx
George

jemmej

I don't think that it is possible. It MIGHT be possible if you had two completely separate partitions and two completely separate OS installs, but, then again I can't say for certain.

Also, not that I know your budget situation or any fiscal restraints (or that its leased and you don't have any options) but...it is fairly inexpensive to upgrade to a DirectX9 certified card, assuming that is the problem. Also, you only need to have DirectX9.0c installed, you don't actually have to have a DirectX9.0 class video card. I'm running Alibre on a really old SiS video card and it works just fine.

Perhaps Alibre can assist you with your graphics issues so you can run one version?

Again, I admit I don't know your specific situation so take my suggestions for what they're worth :)

Jim

Jim
Thanx for the reply. It's not a matter of a new machine, only that this machine at work has some other CAD programs on it and a bunch of older project files that I'd like to keep. Unfortunatly it was never equiped with a CD burner, only a floppy drive so transferring files or archiving them is a problem. I have a CD burner I could take out of another machine but this one is set up as SSCI interface and I'm not sure if I can install the drive. Plus this machine has 3 seperate 6gig hard drives which at the time was great but now is antique. However I can see a new computer in the near future. Thanx again.
George