What's new

"Internal Error" when 3D printing

wsimonton

I encountered a strange/odd result when adding a Fillet to the Spokes at the Rim of the of Wheel Center shown below. I attempted to add a 3/4" Fillet around the Spokes where each joined the wheel Rim. Although "Tangent Propagate" was checked Alibre produced a RED error "Button" and refused to propagate the Fillet. I turned off the "Tangent Propagate" identified the larger arcs on each side and the Fillet displayed and included the smaller arcs on the ends of the Spokes.

I then attempted to Publish to 3D PDF and after a slight pause Alibre returned "Internal Error".

I reported the result to Alibre and sent a copy of the Part File, and was shortly informed to check "Tangent Propagate" Fillets 8 and 9 (fillets were divided into two groups) and the Wheel will print. Although Alibre would not initially propagate the fillet, once filleted without using "Tangent Propagate" Alibre propagated the Fillet without issue and the Wheel Publishes to 3D PDF.

The Spokes are not Lofts - just tapered Extrusions so that a Loft issue was not the problem. Hopefully Alibre Development resolves this issue as I have very large Assembly that also returns a "Internal Error" when attempting to Publish to 3D PDF and trouble shooting that Assembly is daunting to contemplate.

Climax 26in Wheel.JPG

wsimonton

I found a couple of other Parts which also produce a "Internal Error" when attempting to Publish to 3D. They are offered as examples of the issues. If I had a guess, the Lofts or the Mirroring of the Lofts is the issue. In an attempt to permit Publishing to a 3D pdf, I have exported each file and reimported each in stp or sat format to create a solid. My computer due to the size of the complete assembly is presently "thinking" about it.

Just a pointer toward what may be the issue and a possible solution if this happens to anyone. Note the the Parts were created in 2011 or earlier and evinced no issues until Version 20.

Attachments

• F90(f).AD_PKG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • F160.AD_PKG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

wsimonton

With the two (2) Parts converted to Solid Objects after Export (sat) and re-Import to Alibre, the entire Assembly 3D printed after some time.

The complete Assembly in a 3D pdf may be found at the following address. With 10,400 parts, its a bit large and slow but interesting 19th Century tech. About 99% complete except for the Boiler. Best viewed in Solid Outline. Browser previewers will not view in 3D.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/SIMONTON/SN-1551.pdf

Last edited:

wsimonton

I sent all three Parts to Alibre and I have been advised that each of the three Parts exhibits a different issue with HOOPS which will be addressed in future updates although Alibre is dependent on HOOPS tech to correct the issue(s).

So for now the work around is necessary for me and may be for some of you.