What's new

Is a specific version of Python associated with Alibre?

R-man

This is a version of my original question which I blanked out when I thought I found an answer.
However, I have NOT found the answer.

My questions are:

1. Is there an Alibre approved, or built-in text editor for scripting, and how do I access it?

2. Is there a specific version of Python that I must, or should, use for Alibre Scripting?

These questions arise because I noticed couple of Python libraries included within the Alibre program folders.

Last edited:

R-man

Thank you Stefan - now please let me know how I access what I see in your screen shot? I mean what do i click on to bring up that 'console'?

Doug

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Doug,

- Alibre Skript in the Ribbon
- Launch
- then the console etc. pops up in the lower screen area (for default as i remember, later i is configurable)

the Quick Start will be a good first lecture.

Regards
Stefan

upload_2018-12-29_23-47-50.png

upload_2018-12-29_23-48-42.png

upload_2018-12-29_23-53-28.png

R-man

OK. I was thinking script first then part, so I never thought of the ribbon! Now I get it! Thank you for your help!

Doug

R-man

Now a new problem.

I created a new part so I could access the ribbon. Then I brought up the scripting section, and clicked "Launch".

Then after a few seconds the part window disappeared and Alibre shut down.
I get the same behavior when launching from a pre-existing part.

For context, I just loaded the most recent update of Alibre

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Doug,

may some of the other forum members have good ideas for this. From my side this could be "everything" begining at a faulty program install, a corrupted user profil file and so on ... I'm very sorry to be unable to give you more than the tip search for alibre crashing or similar here in the forum. I hope you find help to fix it.

Sorry
Stefan

R-man

Thanks Stefan,

I uninstalled all versions of python, and rebooted my computer. Now I the console window comes up with no problem.

Doug

This is a version of my original question which I blanked out when I thought I found an answer.
However, I have NOT found the answer.
2. Is there a specific version of Python that I must, or should, use for Alibre Scripting?
to find the python version used add the following to any script and watch the console ...

from platform import python_version
print(python_version())

in my Alibre Design Expert 2019, the version of python is 2.7.7