What's new

Is Alibre ready for Windows 11?

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Gotta ask since W11 is officially a thing and this time I want to upgrade sooner rather than later.

swertel

Alibre Super User
Are the users ready for Windows 11?

I heard they broke MS Paint. PAINT!! Oh, the humanity.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Are the users ready for Windows 11?

I heard they broke MS Paint. PAINT!! Oh, the humanity.
lol.

I'm taking proper precautions this time round and making all the necessary enquiries with a lot of software vendors.

BobSchaefer

Hope your computer isn't too old and has all the proper hardware. The hardware requirements are pretty rough, even MS's own surface devices don't meet the minimum requirements! (And I mean their current ones) So, in addition to software, you'll want to check that out as well.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
The hardware requirements are pretty rough
Sounds like Win11 if full of bloatware that the majority of people neither use nor care about! as well as UI changes that add nothing other than make it harder to find simple stuff. The latest Win10 update added tons of sync, cloud, chat, social media, group meeting apps and indexing of everything as default that don't personally enhance my experience ... but do quite the opposite! Thought the cr4p on my phone updates was annoying, well Microsoft seem to be heading that way too. No wonder people don't want to leave Win7.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I liked Windows 7, that was an awesome OS. Currently on 10 which is meh.

Hope your computer isn't too old and has all the proper hardware. The hardware requirements are pretty rough, even MS's own surface devices don't meet the minimum requirements! (And I mean their current ones) So, in addition to software, you'll want to check that out as well.

It didn't see anything too extreme. Anyway I'm fine for hardware so....

GeorgD

Hallo Bigsep,

heute habe ich win 11 installiert. Bisher sind mir keine Probleme mit Alibre aufgefallen. Aber ich werde weiter testen und euch wissen lassen, wenn Probleme auftreten.

Grüße Georg

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Hallo Bigsep,

heute habe ich win 11 installiert. Bisher sind mir keine Probleme mit Alibre aufgefallen. Aber ich werde weiter testen und euch wissen lassen, wenn Probleme auftreten.

Grüße Georg
Ja bitte. Ich werde noch ein paar Wochen warten, bevor ich mit den Upgrade fortsetze.

Drutort

Sounds like Win11 if full of bloatware that the majority of people neither use nor care about! as well as UI changes that add nothing other than make it harder to find simple stuff. The latest Win10 update added tons of sync, cloud, chat, social media, group meeting apps and indexing of everything as default that don't personally enhance my experience ... but do quite the opposite! Thought the cr4p on my phone updates was annoying, well Microsoft seem to be heading that way too. No wonder people don't want to leave Win7.

That almost sounds like windows 8! lol

I have not even looked at windows 11, I am happy with windows 10, I have learned to disable a lot of the stuff with some of those privacy apps etc... and its been rock solid for years, to me its almost as good to windows 7, but I believe its much faster, and lets forget windows 8 ever existed

Drutort

I must say I upgrade my 3900x on a x470 to a 5950x and I like the speed bump! Though I am still wishing when windows would get up to speed, even with a fast NVME, I think some things could be way faster, my cores are not being utilized much at all, but the speed up I can see, in even single thread and multi thread, AD does seem a little bit more responsive but my CAM (SC14) does load and does everything faster, now if we can get over the graphageddon and have normal priced graphics cards that would be great!

GeorgD

Auf diesem Teil ist es mir nicht möglich, einen Radius am Übergang vom Loft zum Durchmesser von 61mm einzustellen.

Attachments

• klima wohwagen neu.AD_PRT
    399 KB · Views: 13

BobSchaefer

It didn't see anything too extreme. Anyway I'm fine for hardware so....

Including TPM 2.0 support? That's also a particularly nasty one that is going to bite a lot of people with desktop PCs. (like mine) that don't have the module built into the motherboard and, currently, if you can find the part, and is supported by your motherboard, its ridiculously expensive.

I do agree with others, I loved windows 7 and waited as long as I could to go to win10, but Microsoft is going to force everyone to windows 11 by stopping support for windows 10 as quickly as they can. (I'm vaguely recalling DEC doing something similar years ago as well)

But to also bring this back to its original topic, I'm not sure that I saw much from a software perspective that it will require to run on it, so I assume Alibre will be pretty safe from that perspective.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Auf diesem Teil ist es mir nicht möglich, einen Radius am Übergang vom Loft zum Durchmesser von 61mm einzustellen.
This looks like another Loft issue that Alibre is known for. I'd suggest giving this to Support to look at.

A fillet cannot be applied at either transition. The only one that does work is on the large outside transition after the shell (I was able to apply a 10 mm fillet there).

I thought that a Tangent Magnitude could be used but then the Shell doesn't work.

Issue Identified.png

GeorgD

Hallo zusammen, ich habe die größte Baugruppe geladen, die mir zum Testen zur Verfügung steht. Ich war überrascht, dass sie mehr geladen hat, als sie sich viel schneller anfühlte. Fühlte sich in der Hälfte der Zeit an. Es war auch angenehmer beim Bewegen und Drehen zu handhaben. Keine ruckartigen Bewegungen. Aber beim Schließen ist das gleiche Problem wie in anderen Threads beschrieben, die Freigabe des Speichers dauert 10 Minuten und länger. Alibre abzuwürgen und neu zu starten ist um ein Vielfaches schneller. Die Datei belegt 11,3 GB meiner 32 GB RAM. Der Task-Manager zeigt mir dann 60% verbrauchten Speicher an. Alles in allem arbeitet mein Computer merklich schneller. Dateioperationen wie Suchen, Löschen usw. sind wirklich behoben. Grüße an alle.

PS. Ich konnte das Radiusproblem von meinem letzten Beitrag aus lösen, indem ich den Durchmesser und die Lofthöhe anpasste. Ich weiß nicht, wo, aber es hat funktioniert.

Max

Administrator
Staff member

I've been using 11 as a daily driver for a long while since the dev builds came out. My takeaways:

• AD works, for me, in the dev builds, just fine.
  • In general, it is way better and more polished
  • Things are easier, not harder - though YMMV depending on what 'things' you are trying to do, probably
  • It is absolutely infuriating that the drag-a-file-onto-a-taskbar-item thing is not currently supported. Absolutely infuriating. Someone should be fired over this. I cannot overstate how obnoxious this is, at least for me. My rant is now over.
  • There are transparency bugs in the dev builds where some dialogs just are almost totally transparent, as in invisibly transparent, but I assume that will be worked out. It's a total stop ship, and very annoying, so there is no chance it ships like this.
  • It is very responsive. Earlier versions of Start > search were slow - now it is like lightning. I like lightning.
  • The right click menus are more tamed, which I at first did not like, but then did.
My high level takeaway of 11 is that once it ships and there is a major SP, it will be unstoppable. There are like 3 major annoyances but they will be fixed. They must be fixed or a revolt will happen. Once they are, 11 is really quite good, IMO.

JST

Alibre Super User
Including TPM 2.0 support? That's also a particularly nasty one that is going to bite a lot of people with desktop PCs. (like mine) that don't have the module built into the motherboard and, currently, if you can find the part, and is supported by your motherboard, its ridiculously expensive.

This link worked for me to check the TPM version. Other links that have been posted did not. Turns out the Dell G3 has 2.0, so I'm OK there.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-check-if-your-pc-has-trusted-platform-module-tpm

Here is some more lovely information:

Will your PC run Windows 11? Even Microsoft can't say for sure | ZDNet

Last edited:

Jhaddan

My company just offered to buy me a new "heavy-duty" laptop to my specs choice. One caveat is Windows 11. So now I have my computer, and I like Windows 11; it is more polished. Alibre does work with it, yet for me it is unusable. Where you usually "select" a button or setting, it "strobes" the selection. (It's as if someone is clicking the left mouse button a hundred times a second.) Alibre Design is the only program that does this. Also, the "OK" or "Cancel" buttons don't work the "X" button yet on the top, right of the windows does work. Can anyone help me out with this issue? If I can fix this "Strobing" selection issue, I can begin using my new laptop to model in Alibre Expert.
Please see the attached link for a visual of the issue here:

Last edited: