What's new

Is AutoRegenerate OFF Working Correctly?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Maybe I misunderstand how AutoRegenerate turned OFF is supposed to work. Please let me know if this is it working correctly.
I have a top level assembly open and right click a subassembly in it and "Edit in Separate Window".
I edit that subassembly (suppressing parts in this most recent case) but see that all changes to the parts in it are automatically already propagated into the top level assembly. I thought that should not be the case that it wouldn't update until I manually regenerate to save time when many changes need to be made.
Is AutoRegenerate always partway on?

dwc

Alibre Super User
As I understand it from what I see, the assembly parts are always immediately updated, but the assembly constraint system is not called when AutoRegenerate is off.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
I believe when being inside a mode (in-place or separate window) any change will push a regenerate when exiting, saving, closing automatically.

If you change something that affects constraints you'll need to recompute (I normally have minimum motion turned OFF).

So AutoRegenerate is not affected by switching modes (in-place or separate window) only when you're inside the assembly and changes are made that affect constraints.

If you have parts opened outside of the assembly and make changes, if AutoRegenerate is OFF the assembly won't pull in those changes, until you hit regen.
but the assembly constraint system is not called when AutoRegenerate is off.
Yes and if a change to a part will affect a constraint or relation a regenerate will need to happen before motion is active or minimum motion is turned ON and/or you trigger it somehow.

I find Alibre's regen/update system to be inconsistent and obtuse as I mentioned previously.

Last edited:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
It just seems like things take way longer to edit in a separate window than they should.

If you have parts opened outside of the assembly and make changes, if AutoRegenerate is OFF the assembly won't pull in those changes, until you hit regen.
No, I know the regenerate does not pull data from the file. It only works on things in that specific windows session memory.

Edit:
Yes, I am on 27.0.1.27039

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Correct, and I recently started to use multiple Alibre instances one for parts and the other for assemblies, scripting and addon development. The first instance is what I use for connecting to the API so my session is clean.
It just seems like things take way longer to edit in a separate window than they should.
Using separate instances of Alibre helps to minimize the regen/update when I have many files open.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Assemblies in Alibre work better when I work at the single sub-assembly level or at the part level and then update the parent/master assembly in a separate instance or after closing the other windows. This is unique to Alibre and I hope some improvements are included in V28.