What's new

Is there a bisect (half) angle tool?

wazzu83

I have been using the reference circles and line method ... you know like 1st year geometry with a compass and straight edge.

There has to be a more efficient way.

Short of a built in tool, any other tricks that may be quicker?

Thanks.

JST

Alibre Super User
If you want a half angle, and especially if you want it to be half even if the angle is changed, then you can use the equation editor. Just identify the angle dimension that you want half of (maybe that is d5), and when you dimension the angle for the half, the formula for that is d5/2.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
If you want a half angle, and especially if you want it to be half even if the angle is changed, then you can use the equation editor. Just identify the angle dimension that you want half of (maybe that is d5), and when you dimension the angle for the half, the formula for that is d5/2.
EE is definitely a good way to go. Far less to go wrong than with constraints. It'll be an A value though, not D.

wazzu83

My application is to miter corners of a frame of parallelogram shape whose corner angles are not rational numbers. I want to be able to quickly sketch the half angle at each corner of the frame for an Extrude Cut operation.

I have attached an example pkg file for reference. The vertical members are always vertical. The so called horizontal members are parallel to the grade. As the grade changes so do the angles of the parallelogram. The grade doesn't always result in (rational) clean angles. I want half of the angle on each piece for a clean joint. I was unable to get the EE to recognize my reference lines. Maybe its me or the EE doesn't work with reference lines and circles.

I had been using using basic construction techniques of circles to bisect the angle. NateLiqGrav suggested the mid-line constraint which is quicker, but not ideal. AutoCAD has a Reference Line Bisect Tool that is very efficient for for this task.

Thanks for looking and offering suggestions.

Attachments

• BAR FRAME ASSY.AD_PKG
    76.9 KB · Views: 3

JST

Alibre Super User
It definitely works with reference lines, just as normal. (and yes, it is an "A" not a "D")

ref angle equation.jpg

wazzu83

Thanks.

I had to check the parameter box for the known angle dimension for it to show in the EE.

Doh!!!

KMoffett

Just a thought.
Draw your two outside lines.
Dimension their included angle and copy that number.
Draw the bisecting line, approximately centered.
Dimension the angle between the bisecting line an either outside line.
In that dimension box paste the copied angle plus "/2" to get the half angle.
Seems to work.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I had to check the parameter box for the known angle dimension for it to show in the EE.
There is an option to turn on display of the equation in the dimension box. Which helps whilst your sketching and using the EE for driven dimensions.