What's new

Is there a Shaft Break in Alibre?

slipstick

I'm wondering if there is a way to add breaks other than the three that I can find. I need a shaft break on occasion, such as the round one on the top left.

Attachments

• Wg2jD.png
    Wg2jD.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 58

jfleming

Alibre Super User
The three you've found are all that I've seen. Another area in drawings that needs improvement.

slipstick

Yes! There is no reason that a CAD-generated Drawing should not be as clear and "nice" as the best hand-drawn Drawing ever made!

Absolutely. A CAD program should allow the user to express himself as well as the subject, just like an artist in any other medium. AutoCAD sort of sterilized the work - I'd like to see drawings like this again.

valve.jpg

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It's hardly 'clear' - though with old methods (or shortage of paper) I understand the temptation to cram everything into a single view, instead of separate part and assembly drawings.

Slipstick -- The image you show is relatively easy to generate in Alibre. The choice involved picking the items to be Sectioned and "de-listing" those that should not. It can be somewhat of a PITA to generate such a view, but it can be done. One of my arguments is that Section Views (and Datums) need to defined at the Model leved. -- Lew

slipstick

It's hardly 'clear' - though with old methods (or shortage of paper) I understand the temptation to cram everything into a single view, instead of separate part and assembly drawings.

Yes, poor choice of image on my part. I was shooting more for the aesthetic that the drawing has. I wonder if that was the standard way to draw assemblies back then...

slipstick

Slipstick -- The image you show is relatively easy to generate in Alibre. The choice involved picking the items to be Sectioned and "de-listing" those that should not. It can be somewhat of a PITA to generate such a view, but it can be done. One of my arguments is that Section Views (and Datums) need to defined at the Model leved. -- Lew

Lew,

While we're on the topic of section views, is it possible to have a cross section of an isometric view like this?

cross section.png

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Yes, poor choice of image on my part. I was shooting more for the aesthetic that the drawing has. I wonder if that was the standard way to draw assemblies back then...
Believe it or not but my current manager wants drawings done this way. An entire injection mould assembly with every single dimension required for manufacture on one drawing. Don't like it. Incredibly cluttered.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Slipstick - insert it in a higher level assembly, use an assembly cut to remove half the model, then generate a 2D drawing from it.

Not perfect - you'd have to fiddle the hatching, but it can be done.

slipstick

Slipstick - insert it in a higher level assembly, use an assembly cut to remove half the model, then generate a 2D drawing from it.

Not perfect - you'd have to fiddle the hatching, but it can be done.

I followed part of that - I have a 3D section view (is that an assembly cut?), but can't figure out how to make a 2D drawing from that.

Crumbs - I don't have the Expert Version...

Last edited: