What's new

Issue Trimming Ellipses

Ydl

Hi all, Long time lurker, recent license acquirer.
I'm starting off in Alibre with a pretty simple little project - making a mobile out of some basic 2D shapes. I'm encountering a few issues in 2D sketches, primarily trimming ellipses and circles.

The issue arises when trimming the ellipses and circles shown in image 1 at any point below the sketch origin. The trim operation will ignore all intersections below the the origin and will trim to the upper most intersections between the two lines.
I've replicated the issue on two machines with pretty dissimilar hardware configurations. I've closed, rebooted etc on multiple occasions. The issue is not dependent on the order that the shapes are drawn.
Oddly, the issue does not occur when the first radius dimension of the ellipses is set in the first quadrant (0<=deg<90) as in image 2 .
If this isn't a bug, does anyone have any idea WTH is going on?

Img URLs:
image.ibb.co/dXapNJ/LHSLow_Nodes.png
image.ibb.co/kKzG2J/RHS_Trimming.png

oldfox

Alibre Super User
If this isn't a bug, does anyone have any idea WTH is going on?

It sounds like you may be trying to trim to an AXIS. That won't work. You must trim to a sketch entity: line, circle, elipse, arc etc.
As you can see on the right side, I can trim to any drawn entity including the reference line from 0,0 to the right.

If this doesn't help, then upload your actual sketch file so we may take a look at it and possibly edit it.

EDIT:
I kept playing with this until I really understood what you were trying to do. (It's still early)
I see what you are saying and it "looks" like it is a 3D thing even though it is only a 2D.
The trim doesn't see the lines below the X axis. So yeah, I'd think that is a bug.

Attachments

• Elipse Trim Example-5.AD_PRT
    279 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Ydl

Just saw the edit. Glad I'm not going crazy. Is there a way that we report bugs like this?