What's new

Java update killing Licences???? - RESOLVED

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
After this java update my license is rejecting.
Suggest you avoid Java update till resolved.
Win 8.1

Attachments

• Java got me..png
    Java got me..png
    130.1 KB · Views: 36

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Java update killing Licences????

I think it may be more complex than just a java update. A few people have reported such issues this weekend, but worked again (allowed re-activation) when trying later.

May be related to a problem at Flexera, conditions on internet or ....

Again it highlights the problems with the licensing scheme as implemented.

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User

Of course, if it's a java update on their server...

Edit ---- Like David says it finally accepted. I emailed Flexnet at about 3:00 PM and it is 7:00 PM (not on DST).
Never got an email reply so they may be busy (Flexnet - "Got another one - look up the license on the printout" :lol: ).

Edit ---- Got an email from Netflex about the same time I got back in.

Hi Roger,

Could you please try using the code again? I've returned the license back to you.

Thank you

Norvee Teves
Download Support

TylerDurden

Alibre Super User

My license pooped yesterday, and I don't think I have Java installed.

I thought WTF, but I put my key in again and got back to business. :?

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User

Dynamics pooped yesterday (I thought they got fed up with me :oops: ) but I only tried to restart GD today.

Ralf

Alibre Super User

Since Saturday > 10 calls with license trouble, very annoying.
-
And YES: It highlights the problems with the licensing scheme as implemented.

Attachments

• Error-Code-0.png
    Error-Code-0.png
    17 KB · Views: 477

As I understand it, any failure to communicate with the licensing server causes your license to be suspended.

To be brutally frank, it's an appalling and incompetent piece of Software Engineering that they've known about for months but are ignoring because its doesn't affect them. Personally, I think someone needs to start a Class Action law suit against them so they sit up and take notice. Sellers keep telling them it needs fixing, but they won't listen to them either.

All they have to do is to allow the licence on your PC to expire after say one week of unsuccessful verification. I should think a student ought to be able to sort that simple problem out for them in an afternoon.

Personally I'm sick of being messed about by this issue and the company's disinterest in tackling the fundamental reason for it. The current licensing system is not fit for purpose. Maybe they should spend some of the so called 'Maintenance' budget on this and other bug fixes instead of using it to chase sales with new features we don't need.

JUKKIS

Two of my customers have got their license to run after they have allowed their web browers to use Flash or have changed the Java start permission to "Start always" or similar.
One was with Firefox and one was with Chrome.
Couple customers got help just by reactivating.

bigseb

Alibre Super User

I assume this is a Windows 8.1-only issue?

Not a fan of Java. Newer versions cause enough problems. Cannot use the Catia Companion at all cause of Java...

bigseb

Alibre Super User

rogerfroud said:
As I understand it, any failure to communicate with the licensing server causes your license to be suspended.

To be brutally frank, it's an appalling and incompetent piece of Software Engineering that they've known about for months but are ignoring because its doesn't affect them. Personally, I think someone needs to start a Class Action law suit against them so they sit up and take notice. Sellers keep telling them it needs fixing, but they won't listen to them either.

All they have to do is to allow the licence on your PC to expire after say one week of unsuccessful verification. I should think a student ought to be able to sort that simple problem out for them in an afternoon.

Personally I'm sick of being messed about by this issue and the company's disinterest in tackling the fundamental reason for it. The current licensing system is not fit for purpose. Maybe they should spend some of the so called 'Maintenance' budget on this and other bug fixes instead of using it to chase sales with new features we don't need.

This isn't correct. The offline period is 30 days. Although in December I got the message that I hadn't connected to the license server in 55 days and my license would expire soon so maybe they bumped it up to 60 days...

Catia and Creo don't even start without a server connection and losing server connection while working also closes the software. GD beats this hands down.

And I say again, I love the fact that I can manage my licenses myself. Was skeptical at first but now I think its great.

JL82

bigseb said:

Not a fan of Java. Newer versions cause enough problems. Cannot use the Catia Companion at all cause of Java...
No, I have 7 Pro...

bigseb

Alibre Super User

JL82 said:
bigseb said:

No, I have 7 Pro...
ok. Weird cos I haven't had that. But then I don't allow Java to update.

Ralf

Alibre Super User

bigseb said:

Sebastian,

This problem exist since Saturday 01/09/2016, with all Geomagic Design versions ( 16, 17, 18 ) and all Windows versions (7, 8, and 10).
The guaranteed 5/24 Flexera support is not reachable, only the voicemail is available:
+1 408-642-3965
or
+1 925-765-0577
And the phone rings and rings...

bigseb

Alibre Super User

Ouch. Hasn't affected me yet. Was working the whole weekend, no worries. Hope it doesn't start...

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member

And Seb - the 30 day expiry is only available if you don't have an internet connection. As soon as an internet connection is available the software assumes it should be able to get through, any problems then cause the licence failure (even when plenty of days are left).

bigseb

Alibre Super User

Not exactly though. I believe I mentioned this before that when GD is started before an internet connection is established then GD does not check for a license. This is often the case with me where I'll do work and at some stage decided to check emails. No license update takes place.

However if internet is connected before GD is started then it checks for a license.

Alternatively I can update the license using the license utility.

What I find strange is that some people have license issues since Saturday but I don't... :? :)

JL82

bigseb said:
Not exactly though. I believe I mentioned this before that when GD is started before an internet connection is established then GD does not check for a license. This is often the case with me where I'll do work and at some stage decided to check emails. No license update takes place.

However if internet is connected before GD is started then it checks for a license.

Alternatively I can update the license using the license utility.

What I find strange is that some people have license issues since Saturday but I don't... :? :)

GD worked fine Saturday and Monday morning and the Internet was connected. The issue becomes me transfering of the license to a desktop today...

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User

DavidJ said:
And Seb - the 30 day expiry is only available if you don't have an internet connection. As soon as an internet connection is available the software assumes it should be able to get through, any problems then cause the licence failure (even when plenty of days are left).

Yes, this (server failure?) immediately kills the license on the machine inquiring.

Of minor interest, I initially tried to reclaim my license using the key from an old email. It was immediately and correctly rejected as invalid.
So validation is occurring and software is communicating but the software glitch is somewhere in the valid license process.
It doesn't appear to effect 100% of the users but seems to still be an ongoing problem.
The error message insinuates a data format error.
The apparent random delays in individual restoration of license insinuates intervention on individual accounts by Netflex.

I suspect it is all hands on board at Netflex to get ahead of restoring keys (before as many users as possible get bit) but I could be wrong.

I wonder if the issue extends to all Netflex (application) subscribers.
Not likely to be a hack attack. If it is that shows you how secure a "cloud" existence would be.
Whatever the situation I'm glad I don't work there :shock:.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member

If re-entering your activation code does not resolve the problem (it has done for several of our customers over the weekend and during today), then ask your reseller or Geomagic to supply this month's temporary licence file. This has resolved the continuing problem that one of our customers had today. The temporary licence file does not rely on the Flexera server, it will enable operation of the software until 5th of the following month.