What's new

Jerky movement while sketching...

jemmej

Jerky movement while sketching...

I noticed this when using Alibre Xpress at home with my computer that has an ATI Radeon 9500 Pro.

I just recently upgraded the video card in my work computer to an ATI Radeon 1300 and am experiencing the same jerkiness.

Anyone know what causes this? It must be something to do with more modern graphics card as my previous jurassic video card did not do this.

Jim

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member

If you previously (ever) had an ATI based graphics card in the PC, it's possible not all of the files associated with it got removed when you updated.

I have a Radeon 9550 card, and have had occasional minor issues including jerkiness.

The support section of the ATI web site site does give some very detailed instructions for either changing cards or just updating to the latest driver.

I did notice improvements when I followed these instruction carefully. I've also noticed interaction between the Radeon drivers and other software though - which has required some tweaks.

jemmej

Interesting. It only occurs while sketching. Other object movements are smooth. Anyone else experience these issues while sketching? It's possible its the ATI cards, but I just upgraded to XP too (my home was already XP). So there is a new similarity between the two machines too.

Jim

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member

From what you say, I'm not convinced it's the Radeon card/drivers - but it might be worth spending a few minutes just so you can eliminate it. Download latest driver from ATI - go through the process to clean out any old files & registry entries, re-boot, then run the install package.

I'm not very clear if the full 'catalyst control centre' package is worth it, or if you are better sticking with just the drivers (less to go wrong).

I've never known anything quite so fussy about how you install drivers as the ATI card.

I find Alibre get 'confused' or 'stuck' occasionally - but that does seem to be fairly random, or maybe when I'm trying something quite intensive.

figaro

Sorry for the long post but maybe it could work for someone else.

Last august, I changed my video card from "ATI All-In-Wonder" with 16mg of RAM :shock: for a new "ATI Radeon 9550" with 256mg :D because I had this kind of problem. As a programmer, I have many, many applications that run on my computer but the problem is ONLY with Alibre. :cry:

Note: The lines starting with ">" are the responses from the Alibre tech.

In any kind of drawing, when my mouse crosses an item, it stick for a while and then speed up. It is very difficult to select or move
a segment or plane.

I just installed a brand new video card (ATI Radeon 9550) with 256mg of RAM.

My computer is a P4 1.5mhz.

I don't know why but I never had this problem with Alibre Xpress and an old ATI All-In-Wonder with 16mg of ram !

Forgot to tell you that I have now Alibre 9.0 Standard.

Thank you

-----------------

> COMMENTS:
> Sorry for the delay in response, the incident was misplaced accidentally. This problem is likely related to your video drivers. Please
visit the ATI website to obtain and download the latest video drivers for your video card.

-----------------

OK I will do it again...(I did this this morning but does not seem to be registered)

I still have the problem.

I did what you said and even more :
- uninstall and reinstall all ATI drivers (what a pain in the neck !)
- uninstall and reinstall Alibre (and upgrade to 9.1)
- try different video resolution
- try different "display acceleration" options (work better with all but "no rollover..." unchecked)

I also noticed that the same thing happend when my mouse crosses some toolbars (Orient view and Visibility) but not for all. No
problems with Standard and Inspection so, probably no connection with Display acceleration options.

I also use the "Performance" program (that came with Windows) to do some tests. I found that when my mouse stick over an
item, the CPU goes to almost 100%.

Hope this help to solve my problem. Thank you.

-----------------

> COMMENTS:
> Yes, does not seem to be related to the display driver. Let’s try a different approach, the errors that you are experiencing are related to a conflict somewhere within the hardware. So do the following: If your system has hyper-threading or multi-threading try disabling that. Also make sure that your new video card is installed and set up correctly, if it’s not it could be causing problems. I would also recommend checking your video settings; you may want to play with them to see if changes make a difference.
If you have anti-aliasing turned on please disable that or change it to application-controlled.

-----------------

Sorry for the delay.

I tried what you said but no luck! Now I must say that I am a little tired of uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and programs. So
I will stick on my "display acceleration" settings since it is the best I can do.

Anyway, thank you for your support.

Now, after trying other technique (that didn't solve the problem either) I'm sure that the problem is NOT with my video card/drivers since ALL my programs work well EXCEPT Alibre :x

You have many many other apps that work fine, but are any of the others 3D cad apps? It still may not explain the problem, but I was just wondering. But... to troubleshoot your direct problem - do you have on-board video so that you could remove the ATI card to test if that is the problem?

And if you don't have onboard video, do you have either 1)a different card you could try or 2)a computer parts store that will let you buy and return a video card that doesn't work? (Fry's near me will take ANYTHING back. I've even assembled complete computers that didn't do what I want and I took everything back, even CPU/Memory and HDD).

The reason I'm asking is this - I have bought 3 ATI cards in the past. Never again. I always end up having problems with them, and their drivers and driver installation procedures are miserable. They may work when you get them, but if you add a new application later on, it may not work. And if they don't release new drivers for it, you are SOL. I was saddened when ATI bought Diamond MM, as Diamond made good cards.

My suggestion: try out a NVidia video card. They are reasonably priced, and much easier to install/uninstall and update. NVidia makes chips for everybody, the Geforce cards are very popular. Well, most of them are reasonably priced. I saw some yesterday that were $650, but they had 768mb of ram.

My thinking is that your problem may not be just with Alibre, but with Alibre and those particular video cards or drivers.

figaro

Re:

You have many many other apps that work fine, but are any of the others 3D cad apps? It still may not explain the problem, but I was just wondering.
No it's the only one I have. I use it to make plans for my woodworking project.

But... to troubleshoot your direct problem - do you have on-board video so that you could remove the ATI card to test if that is the problem?
No I don't.

And if you don't have onboard video, do you have either
1)a different card you could try or
2)a computer parts store that will let you buy and return a video card that doesn't work? (Fry's near me will take ANYTHING back. I've even assembled complete computers that didn't do what I want and I took everything back, even CPU/Memory and HDD).
1) no
2) no

The reason I'm asking is this - I have bought 3 ATI cards in the past. Never again. I always end up having problems with them, and their drivers and driver installation procedures are miserable. They may work when you get them, but if you add a new application later on, it may not work. And if they don't release new drivers for it, you are SOL. I was saddened when ATI bought Diamond MM, as Diamond made good cards.
I must agree with you ! Every time I have to update an ATI driver, I spend at least 1/2 day. Install, try, reboot, uninstall, re-install, reboot, etc.

My suggestion: try out a NVidia video card. They are reasonably priced, and much easier to install/uninstall and update. NVidia makes chips for everybody, the Geforce cards are very popular. Well, most of them are reasonably priced. I saw some yesterday that were $650, but they had 768mb of ram.
I bought my card just three or four months ago. Unfortunatly, I don't have money to buy another one...

indesign

Alibre Super User

I will have to say I have had trouble out if each of 3 ATI cards when doing 3d CAD.

Nvidia (even cheaper ones ) almost never had any non-functionaing issues. The only time was when I forgot to un-install the ATI drivers before installing the NVidia. I have found though the cheaper cards are way slower than even midranged cards.

jemmej

Just to finish off this thread as far as my contributions as the original poster...

I went into the control panel and changed the Anti-Aliasing setting to controlled by the Application and the problem went away.

Jim

figaro

Hi folks,

I finally solved my problem this morning after almost 6 months of trials and errors on my video card, video drivers, and so on. :lol:

Since I have a LCD monitor, the "Mouse trails" options (in the "Mouse properties" applet) was enabled just because I like the way it looks. :oops:

So I disabled it :idea: , made some tests (sketch, assy, drawing), and VOILÀ !! no more problem (?!?) :shock:

I hope this will help someone else. :wink: