What's new

Join line segments for laser cut file

mfb99

Hello,

I have a complex flat shape ( about 3" x 2") that I want to get laser cut.

After sending the .dxf file to the laser cutter they said that my .dxf file was made up of hundreds of small individual lines and the file would not work for laser cutting.

The original file was a graphics file that was converted to .dxf. and came across with all the line segments.

Is there a way to join all these line segments? Or is there a work-around to get a .dxf for laser cutting?

I have the original .svg graphics file, the .dxf converted file, a Geomagic Drawing File and a Geomagic Part File. (The part file shows hundreds of small planes making up the periphery of the part)

Regards,

Mark

mfb99

Hello Brian

Thank you for your reply.

I am going to download MOI, convert the file to splines and then get it over to the laser cutter.

I will let you know.

Regards,

Mark

mfb99

Thanks for your replies.

By chance is there a way to do this within my existing Geomagic Design program?

Besides the .dxf file made up of all the line segments, I also have an extruded part model (AD_PRT) where the edge is made up of hundreds of little planes.

Is there a way I can join or smooth all these planes ?

Regards,

Mark

bemfarmer

Hi Mark,

I am an amateur at GM Design, so will leave it up to others to respond.

Is your 3d file 2d, with a slight 3d "extrusion?"

Can you post your files, or a portion?

- Brian

mfb99

Hello Brian

Yes, it is a thin extrusion from the 2D.

Here are a couple of files.

I could not load the part file or the .dxf laser cut file as they are too big.

Mark

Attachments

• whippet.dxf
    59.8 KB · Views: 17
  • whippet cut file.AD_DRW
    569 KB · Views: 13

mfb99

Thank you,

I was not sure if it was OK to put a zipped file up on the forum.

Here are the part file and the actual .dxf laser cut file that was rejected by the laser cutter.

Mark

Attachments

• whippet cut file.zip
    629.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Whippet Plaque .040 thick.zip
    423.5 KB · Views: 4

bemfarmer

Saved GM to Step and opened in Moi. After some manipulation in Moi, rebuilding curves at the edges, came up with the following:
1. Cut file in dxf in spline format. Each canine has 26 curves.
2. GM file, copy/paste of solid from Moi. Is it any better. GM still shows "lines," but maybe it is a display artifact?

Exactly what sort of file/curves do they want? Splines or polylines?

- Brian

Attachments

• Whippet Plaque .040 thickEdgesRebuiltCopyToGM.AD_PRT.zip
    196.7 KB · Views: 2
  • whippet cut fileMoiRebuildEndpoints26CurvesEach.zip
    562.2 KB · Views: 3

bemfarmer

Here is a simple polylines version dxf, which is just a join of some 645 line segments for each canine.

- Brian

Attachments

• whippet cut fileMoiJoinForPolylines01DXFpolylines.zip
    390.9 KB · Views: 4

mfb99

Brian,

Thank you so much for making those files for me, I appreciate it.

I believe the spline/curves version will work, I am going to send it off to the Laser Cut folks right now and see if they find it acceptable.

If you don't mind checking back tomorrow on the forum, I will post and let you know.

Regards,

Mark

mfb99

Well, here is what the Laser Cutter said.

The .dxf has to be lines and arcs only. No splines

Or, an Adobe Illustrator .AI file saved in CS2 or earlier.

At this point I am going to give up on this one.

Thanks for those that helped me.

Mark

Mark (and All) -- If the controller for the machine (mill, lathe, waterjet, laser, etc.) is EIA RS-427 based, then only lines and arcs may "drive geometry." If, on the other hand, HPGL or DMPL (plotter languages) are used, then certain curve (mostly Bezier) geometries may be used. This is where a curve-to-cotangent-arc operand is incredibly useful.

bemfarmer

Hi Mark

Moi also can save in AI format. I do not know if this is the same AI that the Laser cutters can use.

- Brian

Attachments

• WhippetJoinRebuildEndpoints01AI.zip
    523.6 KB · Views: 4

mfb99

Brian

I think that gets me much closer.

I just need to find someone who can save the .ai to the CS2 file format.

Creative Suite 2, which is quite old.

Mark

mfb99

Cherky

Thank you for the CS2 file.

I have sent the file off to the laser cutter.

I will let you know how it goes.

Regards,

Mark

mfb99

Ok, the laser cutter accepted the file for cut.

So it looks like the process for a non geometric part is to save in .dxf, convert this to an .ai file (in MOI) then convert to the older CS2 .ai file.

A lot of hassle, but I guess some of the companies that are laser/water jet cutting are still needing to use these older format files.

Thank you again for giving me a hand with this.

Regards,

Mark

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Any laser cutter company really worth a darn should be able fix your dxf file to keep a happy customer. Even if that means they trace it by manually with lines and arcs. Just my $0.02 on that issue being someone who has done exactly that. I believe I have an AutoCAD method that would only take a few min and I'll test it Monday when I'm back at the desk. FYI we don't do much custom stuff like this anymore at my work but have if the price is right and we are not busy.

BTW were they arranged like that to for art or to just for nesting to laser cut? If for nesting then the laser cutter company should be able to do that too.