What's new

JordanCClark's Screw Selector

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Help Please! I downloaded this script and XML file but it won't run unless the XML file is in "C:\Program Files\Alibre Design\Program". I tried to change the line from tree = ET.parse('screw_data.xml') to tree = ET.parse('C:\Users\allan\Alibre Script Library\screw_data.xml') but it threw an illegal character error.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Try putting a lowercase r in front of the quoted string. This tells python to use it as a raw string.

Code:
tree = ET.parse(r'C:\Users\allan\Alibre Script Library\screw_data.xml')

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Just fiddling for the fun of it and I admit I'm floundering in the dark, but:
In light of this

self.StandardCb = ComboBox()
self.StandardCb.Parent = self
self.StandardCb.Location = Point(30, 30)
self.StandardCb.DropDownStyle = ComboBoxStyle.DropDownList

what is the syntax (if it even exists), to create a Label? I've tried below (a wild stab)

self.StandardLb = Label()
self.StandardLb.Parent = self
self.StandardLb.Location = Point(10, 30)
self.StandardLB.Text = "Standard"

It doesn't work and I get System.MissingMemberException: 'IForm' object has no attribute 'StandardLB' I can't find any list of what are valid attributes for IForm.

I was working on the assumption that self.StandardCb = ComboBox() defined the combobox as StandardCb but obviously not.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Actually never mind, the more I look at this code the more I realise I understand so little of how dealing with xml files is done. I vaguely get the gist of what happens but I doubt that "a few pointers" would be anywhere enough for me to get any sort of real understanding.

I'll have to leave things like this to the real coders amongst us.

ajayre

Alibre Super User
The problem here is that knowledge of three technologies is required - python, windows forms, python interface to windows forms (aka 'ctypes'). That's a lot to learn and the reason why I created a simplified interface to creating a user interface for scripts. I recommend users stick to that and suggest improvements and only resort to this type of user interface if they are trying to do something advanced.

Albie - you have 'LB' instead of 'Lb'.

Andy

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Doh! So I did, {facepalm} I was hoping to be able to use what worked and just clean up the interface a little bit. Instead I will try and use his builds and data and add them into my bolt builder already.