What's new

Just a dot.

papajoe41

Is there anyway to just put a dot as a reference point? When I draw a shape and extrude it, some times, I would like to just put a point/dot on the corner of the box, to use as reference. for measuring.
Papajoe41

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
The measure tool should let you select a vertex of an object. Notice in this anim how the cursor icon changes to indicate an Edge, Face or Vertex.

vertex measure.gif

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You can add a 3D Point - though as Harold has shown, I'm not sure it adds much.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You'll need to edit the part either "here" or in a new window in order to insert the point at a vertex. Then back in the assembly select Show Reference Geometry for the part in order to see the point(s).

MilesH

Alibre Super User
You'll need to edit the part either "here" or in a new window in order to insert the point at a vertex. Then back in the assembly select Show Reference Geometry for the part in order to see the point(s).
You can inset a Point at a vertex, directly from within an Assembly, by selecting an edge and setting the value to 0 or 1.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Because a datum point is reference geometry.
I think you may be missing the direction the thread took, Seb. We were talking about methods to insert a Point from directly within an Assembly. Not from within a Part being edited in an Assembly or a Part edited in a separate window. AFAIK, the only way to do that is to use Insert Point on Edge technique that I gave above. Who wants to open two separate Parts to Insert Points to take a measurement in Assembly space!! The real question is why the heck can't we get access to Vertices in Assembly?

Last edited:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I think you may be missing the direction the thread took, Seb. We were talking about methods to insert a Point from directly within an Assembly. Not from within a Part being edited in an Assembly or a Part edited in a separate window. AFAIK, the only way to do that is to use Insert Point on Edge technique that I gave above. Who wants to open two separate Parts to Insert Points to take a measurement in Assembly space!! The real question is why the heck can't we get access to Vertices in Assembly?
I was replying to the OP...
Is there anyway to just put a dot as a reference point? When I draw a shape and extrude it, some times, I would like to just put a point/dot on the corner of the box, to use as reference. for measuring.
Papajoe41
No mention of assemblies.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
You joined in when we started talking about Assemblies, after my veiled reference to the lack of access to Vertices in Assembly:
I don't always read all the responses. I was merely replying to the OPs initial question.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Fair enough. But that's where the miscommunications start. You were still answering the original question directly and assuming that Nate and I were too. We'd moved on to taking measurements in Assembly which is limited by lack of access to Vertices. We pointed out that you cannot insert a Point to a Vertice in Assembly.

If you were making the suggestion here, to Insert Points in a Part/Parts and then view them in Assembly to take a Measurement. That's pretty inefficient. If you were suggesting adding a Point to a Vertex, actually in Assembly space, then the only way to do it is to insert one on an edge. That's why Nate and I contradicted you. Anyway, that's just my reading of it....... :p
You can add a datum point. Lots of options and visisble in assemblies.

View attachment 35135

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Fair enough. But that's where the miscommunications start. You were still answering the original question directly and assuming that Nate and I were too. We'd moved on to taking measurements in Assembly which is limited by lack of access to Vertices. We pointed out that you cannot insert a Point to a Vertice in Assembly.

If you were making the suggestion here, to Insert Points in a Part/Parts and then view them in Assembly to take a Measurement. That's pretty inefficient. If you were suggesting adding a Point to a Vertex, actually in Assembly space, then the only way to do it is to insert one on an edge. That's why Nate and I contradicted you. Anyway, that's just my reading of it....... :p
It isn't efficient. But much in AD isn't.